Mysterious bill from intuit

I can't figure out what forum to use for this, so I'll take a shot here. I just received a very strange email. It is from "quickbooks@notification.intuit.com" and it says "our invoice-254623 for $200.40 is attached. You now have the option to pay invoices online with a credit card.
Thank you for your business.
Sincerely,
Hunter Lambert" and the attached invoice is a Excel Spreadsheet [!] I have excel but I don't understand its vulnerabilities very well so I'm loath to just open the spreadsheet.

I've done some forensics on the email and it did, in fact, original from "notifications.intuit.com", but I don't have, and have never had, anything to do with quickbooks so I'm at a loss as to what to do with/about the email. Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I agree completely with @GeoffG's suggestion, you might try asking this same question in the Quickbooks forum also.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This could be perfectly normal. I have one or two firms I do business with who bill me via Quickbooks, and I get emails like that. I don't use Quickbooks either, but the billers do. The billers can attach files to the email. I usually get PDF attachments with such bills.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very risky to open an Excel spreadsheet without knowing its origin, and even then could pose significant risk. Excel spreadsheets can contain malicious code that can run malware.
    Not a good practice if that is what Quickbooks is using to convey invoices.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I interpreted it to mean that the Vendor was using the Excel spreadsheet ... not that QB was causing that to be used.
    AND, if the OP is running a GOOD malware program, detaching and then opening the spreadsheet should be of minimal to negligible risk.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Yes, it's the biller attaching the spreadsheet, not Quickbooks.
    Anyway, my understanding is that a normal .XLSX workbook is safe in current Excel versions. Malicious content lives in macros, which need to be in .XLSM files to execute. Furthermore, the user has to have enabled macros in the Excel Trust Center.
    The thing I would look at is the sender. I googled Hunter Lambert and got a variety of results. If you've done business with a Hunter Lambert, @BernieC, this is probably legitimate. If you haven't, it's possible this is a benign email which was incorrectly addressed.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited May 2020
    [Duplicate post deleted]

• BernieC
    BernieC Member ✭✭
    I've got my answer -- I opened excel and took a chance and tried to open the "invoice". It wouldn't open. Windows defender blocked it AND excel wasn't happy with it. So it was an attack. Since it was sent from the intuit.com domain, should I complain/warn them that there's something awry in their world?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried asking over on the QB forum, to see if this is a known issue?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    BernieC said:
    I've got my answer -- I opened excel and took a chance and tried to open the "invoice". It wouldn't open. Windows defender blocked it AND excel wasn't happy with it. So it was an attack. Since it was sent from the intuit.com domain, should I complain/warn them that there's something awry in their world?
    Good catch. Looks like they already know about this, but it wouldn't hurt to forward them the entire email with headers & attachments intact.

• BernieC
    BernieC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    They do -- it is the *exact* email that I received.. It is now deleted and forgotten. BUT -- it is a pretty clever forgery. I'm experienced with doing forensics on email and this one was cleverer than most.

Received: from [45.171.95.217] (dynamic-45-171-95-217.turbonetrecife.net.br [45.171.95.217])
    by vade-backend7.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id D6306438487D5
    for <[email removed]>; Mon, 4 May 2020 17:51:24 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: from jwrg.o4.e.notification.intuit.com (jwrg.o4.e.notification.intuit.com [87.212.183.77])
    by jwrg.o4.e.notification.intuit.com with ESMTP

The email claimed to be "from:" somebody at notification.intuit.com. And the last Received: stamp seems to indicate that it was actually sent from a system at notification.intuit.com. But look at the next Received stamp: it is a discontinuity and came to my incoming SMTP server from a site in brazil. Not from intuit after all.
    Sneaky
This discussion has been closed.