Corporate Name Change/ Spin off

John H
John H Member ✭✭
Need to do a spin off followed by security name change. All answers are for Windows. Actual case is United Technologies spin off of Otis and Carrier followed by name change to Raytheon Technologies. My Quicken for Mac 15.15.3 has no Transaction for doing this.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the top of this forum's Home page, do a search for "OTIS" (without the quotes).  There are several threads about this corporate action.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• John H
    John H Member ✭✭
    Thanks for fast response - unfortunately my Mac version does not have Transactions for either Spin Off or Corporate Name Change. I've seen the Otis threads and wished I could do that, too. Any other option for us Mac folks?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised to see that they were ALMOST all for QWin ... but I did find this one: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20088552#Comment_20088552

• John H
    John H Member ✭✭
    Again thank for the interest in my problem - I am at the point of giving up with Quicken Mac to track Investments and this may push me over the edge. It would really help to be able to Change the Security Name. Alas Quicken Mac has always been been the poor relation to Windows and new company seems content with that.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    They started re-writing QMac, from the ground up, a few years ago ... and you're right they have not yet achieved parity with QWin.
    BUT, one of the purposes of the recent switch to Q Subscription is that, NOW, they only have 3 versions to support (QMac, Q Win US and QWin Canada) vs.  the 9 or 10 versions that they had previously.
    Hopefully, that will speed up development of ALL of the products.

• James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    I had a similar issue with Arconic Inc (ARCN), which changed is name to Howmet Aerospace (HWM) and then spun off a new company Arconic Corporation, with the same stock symbol (ARCN). These shares are in an IRA account managed by an investment firm. To accomplish the name change, I set up a dummy IRA account and transferred (using transfer shares command) the Arconic Inc shares into the dummy account. Then I changed the company name to Howmet in the dummy account for all of the Arconic transactions, and then transferred them back into the original IRA account. All of the previous Arconic transactions data where preserved and now listed as Howmet. For the spin off, I just added the shares reported as Arconic Corporation.
  • John H
    John H Member ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. In the case of United Technologies, it spun off two companies and remaining piece changed name to Raytheon Technologies. I work around was to sell UTX and then buy the two spun off companies plus the new RTX. Had to make sure cost basis was correct. If Quicken Mac had Spin Off and Name Change as Transactions it would have been straightforward.
This discussion has been closed.