OSU hangs - Error OL-221-A, BMO Harris Bank

Paul Smith2
Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
As of 5/6/2020, One Step Update from BMO - Harris Bank Fails with error code OL-221-A. This is a new problem, it worked yesterday. I updated Quicken to the latest release (R26.21) and this did not resolve the issue. This problem is critical for me because all my everyday banking activity flows through this bank. In researching previous postings of this type of error, it appears that the download from the bank failed to meet the requirements of the QFX file specifications. I would appreciate any help I can get quickly...
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    Ever since I bought the upgrade yesterday I have not been able to update my accounts. The message I get is 221A. I use Express web connect. I have deactivated and reactivated. What else can I do.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    Below is the specific error from the Connection Log.

Since BMO Harris is an Express Web Connect  FI 
    It may be a Quicken/Intuit scripts or API issue which is not something BMO can fix.  To the extent you get the same error when you download the QFX file from BMO Harris, that would point to an issue on their end.

20200506 09:17:17: Not all required fields present. Object: LEDGERBAL missing tag: BALAMT

Adding- The issue might get more visibility if you edit the title of this post to add BMO Harris.
  • markus1957
    BMO Harris by any chance?
  • zamb
    zamb Member
    Good question. I can not update BMO at all. different error yesterday, now today i get a cc-898 error
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    Yes BMO.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Paul Smith2

Thank you for reporting this error to the community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

We are investigating this error and have opened an escalation with our service providers to resolve this as quickly as possible.

If you would like to submit your information to the open investigation to receive an update once this issue has been resolved, we recommend contacting Quicken Support.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if the community can be of any further assistance.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    where do I find the open investigation on Quicken Support?
  • jkillberg
    jkillberg Member ✭✭✭
    Same here - BMO stopped working today.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    where do I find the open investigation on Quicken Support?

You can't.  Such function doesn't exist.  The only feedback that you'll get is:
    1. The developers need more info from you
    2. A fix is released.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    I just tried to download and still not working.Still get the same error 221 A Having used quicken for years this is very frustrating
  • markus1957
    Until it is fixed, go to the BMO Harris website; download the Quicken qfx file for each BMO account and import it into Quicken.
  • Ed14
    Ed14 Member ✭✭
    Hello markus1957,
    Would it be possible to list the step-by-step instructions to the "temporary fix" ?
    If not, no worries...I'll wait for the permanent fix.
  • How do you know when it's fixed. Is there something like a support number.
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    (Removed-Inaccurate) 
  • cj1966
    cj1966 Member ✭✭
    Attempting a one-step update on BMO Harris, I receive the following error message. OL-221-A Quicken is unable to Complete your request. This has been happening for 3 days and I have attempted at different times off the day. I am updated and on the most current Quicken R26.21
  • Laura Resnick
    Laura Resnick Member
    I am having the same problem for several days. Need this corrected. I have quicken deluxe 2020. Does this have something to do with PPP?
  • cj1966
    cj1966 Member ✭✭
    I chatted with an agent on-line. They had me download and review a connection file, but were not able to resolve the issue. I was directed to call Quicken support on Monday. I read that PPP is affecting things, but don't see any references to BMO Harris
  • RickDetroit
    RickDetroit Member ✭✭
    Thanks for reporting this, I thought it was just me. Same issue here, same error code, and it started on 5/6/2020 for me also. Tried both reset and deactivating/activating with no change in error message.
  • markus1957
    Again, Downloading each account at BMO website can be done by clicking the Export icon in the transactions window.  Import it into Quicken or double-click the downloaded file while Quicken is open to automatically import it.
  • PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Thank you for contacting BMO Harris Bank regarding issues synching with Quicken. This is a known issue and our tech team is working on a resolution. At this time, there is no ETA on when this will be fixed.

At BMO Harris we are committed to providing you a convenient, safe and secure online banking experience. In order to protect your account, we do not send confidential account information via unsecured e-mail; nor do we update accounts based on information received through an unsecured e-mail.

For any questions or concerns, you have the option to contact us via telephone. Customer Service Associates are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 888-340-2265. You can also send a Secure Message through your BMO Harris Online Banking profile.

Thank you for your business and have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Lisa K
    Associate, Digital Banking
    BMO Harris Bank
  • tekostek
    tekostek Member ✭✭
    BMO Harris error - OL-221-A. Markus1957 said: "Until it is fixed, go to the BMO Harris website; download the Quicken qfx file for each BMO account and import it into Quicken." -- thanks for the help, but can you be more specific? Where exactly are these qfx files found? Please advise. Please fix this issue...
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭✭
    It's the file you download from the BMO account website. You will have to do it for each account at BMO.
  • Danno
    Danno Member ✭✭
    Error code OL-221-A...BMO Harris Bank is stopping at 5/1/20 with downloading new activity
  • PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    BMO will only download an .ofx file type (despite BMO saying "Quicken" under download type).

Download to your desktop and rename the file, changing .ofx to .qfx. It will import into Quicken then.
  • yomanjm1
    yomanjm1 Member ✭✭
    FYI - just had an exchange with Quicken Support. They have escalated this to BMO Harris. There is a COVID-19 message that is interfering with the downloads. Hoping to have it fixed. I was told to give it a few more days. 08:30 CST on 05/11/2020
  • markus1957
    @PhoenixRising - I just downloaded a QFX file from BMO Harris.  No renaming required.
  • SammyDB
    SammyDB Member ✭✭
    I too have been having the same problem with BMO Harris download. Be cautious switching download methods though and as you may end up with 100's of "new" transactions that have been previously cleared. One Step Update uses Express Web Connect. I believe when you download/export direct from the BMO Harris website, the transaction markers are different and previously cleared transactions suddenly show up as new transactions. I exported from the website and had 63 "new" transactions going back several months. I had to manually delete each transaction, one by one. I don't to see a bulk method of clearing Downloaded Transactions and I should have run a backup before importing from the website.
  • markus1957
    The easier way to clear "New" duplicates is to accept them into the register and then temporarily change the register sort to Order Entered.  Then you can bulk delete the entries from the latest accepted download.

In my case they all presented as "Match" so it was not an issue.
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭✭
    You can also change the filters on the BMO account before you download the file to eliminate older transactions.
This discussion has been closed.