Renaming a security

I'm moving my investments to a new firm. Apparently the old firm transferred a mutual fund with a different ticker then what I'd been holding (I'm guessing the old one could not be transferred). Anyway, there new fund has the same share price and nu per of shares as the old one. Is there an easy way to rename the fund? I did a fund conversion transaction but it's taking f...o...r...e...v...e...r as it's breaking y holdings up into tiny chunks and converting each one individually. I'm 15 m minutes in and it's still gonkulating. I have another fund for which I need to do the same thing, looking to speed things up.

Thanks

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    To rename a security, reset a security's ticker symbol, or unmatch a security with as online security: press Ctrl + Y, right-click on the security, and select Edit.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have no clue what that means....what happens after edit?
    When we select Edit, an Edit Security Details window opens.  For example:

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I get it, but in the past a manual correction to a security name has jacked up downloads. Quicken does waaaay too much stuff in the background (and apparently incorrectly) to try and manually fix things (my view).
    The name of the security is not used when we download.  The third-party quote service uses the ticker symbol.  The financial institution uses a different identifier set when we match the security to an online security.

The actual question is what did your brokerages do when they transferred your holdings.  I suspect the mutual fund may have changed class, in which case, the Mutual Fund Conversion wizard is appropriate.  Note: There have been issues with Mutual Fund Conversion wizard cost basis calculations so I favor using the Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock) wizard instead as it has been more reliable but, if the security is held in multiple accounts, you need to remove the erroneous entries in the other accounts (not too difficult).

If a brokerage actually sold the previous holdings, you should be entering the appropriate sale and purchase transactions.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    To rename a security, reset a security's ticker symbol, or unmatch a security with as online security: press Ctrl + Y, right-click on the security, and select Edit.
  • Ross Dillon
    Ross Dillon Member ✭✭
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    When we select Edit, an Edit Security Details window opens.  For example:

• Ross Dillon
    Ross Dillon Member ✭✭
    I get it, but in the past a manual correction to a security name has jacked up downloads. Quicken does waaaay too much stuff in the background (and apparently incorrectly) to try and manually fix things (my view).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The name of the security is not used when we download.  The third-party quote service uses the ticker symbol.  The financial institution uses a different identifier set when we match the security to an online security.

The actual question is what did your brokerages do when they transferred your holdings.  I suspect the mutual fund may have changed class, in which case, the Mutual Fund Conversion wizard is appropriate.  Note: There have been issues with Mutual Fund Conversion wizard cost basis calculations so I favor using the Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock) wizard instead as it has been more reliable but, if the security is held in multiple accounts, you need to remove the erroneous entries in the other accounts (not too difficult).

If a brokerage actually sold the previous holdings, you should be entering the appropriate sale and purchase transactions.
  • Ross Dillon
    Ross Dillon Member ✭✭
    I couldn't make any of this work. I fairly deleted all of the related transactions and simply did "remove" from the old account and "Add" in the new account with the appropriate tickers. All I can do now is hope that everything transferred correctly.

Thanks anyway.