Income column in portfolio view

I am using Quicken Delux 2020 for Mac and the portfolio options column does not include a column for dividends or the return based on the stock price. This is a fairly simple process. all previous discussions end without an answer.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Mike Kozlow  Below the graph, the first filter gives you three options: Portfolio Value, Realized Gain, Performance. If you haven't already, you may want to experiment with each view and the columns you can display for each of them. For instance, I'm not sure what you mean by "return based on the stock price", but in the Portfolio Value view, you can have columns that show Gain/Loss and Percent Gain/Loss, and the Performance view gives you a variety of options for IRR and ROI.

If you're looking specifically for dividend information, you can generally get what you want if you switch to the Transactions tab, and filter just for Income in the date range you're interested in. Dividends paid show up in the Amount column; reinvested dividends show in the Invest Amt column. You may be able to see what you want sorting by the Type column to group all Dividends and Reinvested Dividends together, but to separate out any non-dividend transactions and get totals, you may need to export the register transactions to a spreadsheet.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mike Kozlow
    Mike Kozlow Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. I was a stock broker for 40 years and I always prepared portfolio reviews that had two columns that are missing in QMac, they were the stated dividend for the stock and the current yield. The yield is based on the current stock price and the annualized dividend. That information its available if I click on the stock. It takes me to a research window and the last line of data is the dividend and yield. I think QMac should not require the sidestep to get the info.
  • jacobs
    @Mike Kozlow  You might want to create a new thread as an "Idea" with your post above explaining exactly what you think is needed in Quicken Mac. This will allow you and others to vote for the idea, and if it gains enough user support, for the moderators to bring it to the attention of the developers. 
  • Mike Kozlow
    Mike Kozlow Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion. I need some guidance however, as to where to post
  • jacobs
    Click on Recent Discussions in the left sidebar above. On the left side of the page where is says "Ask a Question", click the drop-down arrow and select New Idea. Enter your suggestion for the feature change you're seeking. You can probably just copy-and-paste from your 12:35pm post above, or elaborate however you want in order to (a) make clear to the developers what's missing or needed and (b) make clear to fellow users why this is worth voting for. 
  • jacobs
    Okay, I see you didn't wait for an answer, and posted a new question instead of an Idea. I've flagged it for a moderator to turn it into an Idea post where users can vote on the idea. Be sure to go back and case your own vote to get it started, when you see the blue voting vote added to your post. 
  • Mike Kozlow
    Mike Kozlow Member ✭✭
    thanks again
  • dezel022
    dezel022 Member
    So going back to Mike's original post (In Windows) under the investment tab you have Total Realized gain/loss, Total Dividends and it adds both of those fields for the Total Gain/Loss of that investment (All on one tab). Am i missing something because it seems straight forward i just can't find it in QMac? This is the reason i havent switched over to Mac yet...

Example: What if I own 10 shares of Apple and sell 1 share to realize $150 gain + received a $10 dividend. Is that now included in the QMac gain/loss on the Portfolio page? or does it just remove it completely and not report it under the portfolio page? I understand that i can go into the dividend report but I would like that information on the main investment/portfolio tab/page as i have it on Quicken for windows currently?

I appreciate the help?
  • Mike Kozlow
    Mike Kozlow Member ✭✭
    I have no idea what they are showing, but the correct answer should be, no. The gain from the sale of the share would be reflected in the capital gains and loss report. The dividend would reflected on the income report. You are looking for a total return on investment which is a very different calculation. The issue can be further confused by asking for a an annualized return or actual return. What I am looking for is a column 1 that show the stated dividend on the stock and column 2 that show the percentage of that dividend by dividing the dividend by the stock price. That number would be called an effective yield on the investment. There are many traders who will buy stocks at an effective yield and sell it when the yield declines to a specific target; i.e., the stock appreciates but the dividend is constant. Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.