OLD versions - Quicken Premier 2009 and Quicken Home and Business 2015

Options
Hi. I'm trying to figure out a number of items as I review finances for my divorce!

1. Would it have been necessary to purchase both items?
2. Do either programs use a subscription service?
3. Is there a particular version that can download a reader for files from both versions?
4. Is it possible to get access to the information used by one of these programs without having a file?
5. How many users are permitted to access each version?

Thanks!

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. No 2015 will read the 2009 file, but you may need to convert the 2009 to 2013 using this article: Convert Data from an Earlier version of Quicken
    2. No, Subscription started with 2018.
    3. No reader, see #1
    4. The only place the data is, is in the file, without it, no data
    5. Legally 3, but it is on an honor system, so there is no counter in the cloud keeping track of installs.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jeanine Schmidt
    Jeanine Schmidt Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have a different issue. I have used Quickbooks and/or Quicken since they were on the floppy disks... Back then you just bought it; nothing was automatically entered or updated and that was just fine. At that time I would print checks and that's all. When I retired I went to Quicken Premier 2015 cause Quickbooks was expensive and required a yearly fee. I just want to use Quicken without having anything automatically updated. I've been looking for a substitute but not having much luck. My question is...if I do upgrade must I give my bank, credit card and mutual fund information? Or, can I just use it the way I have it set up now where I enter and balance everything on my own? I just want to learn something new and I can't find anything that doesn't require give out my personal info. I don't care how secure it is...just want to do it myself.
    Thanks for any info anyone may have.

Jeanine
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a different issue. I have used Quickbooks and/or Quicken since they were on the floppy disks... Back then you just bought it; nothing was automatically entered or updated and that was just fine. At that time I would print checks and that's all. When I retired I went to Quicken Premier 2015 cause Quickbooks was expensive and required a yearly fee. I just want to use Quicken without having anything automatically updated. I've been looking for a substitute but not having much luck. My question is...if I do upgrade must I give my bank, credit card and mutual fund information? Or, can I just use it the way I have it set up now where I enter and balance everything on my own? I just want to learn something new and I can't find anything that doesn't require give out my personal info. I don't care how secure it is...just want to do it myself.
    Thanks for any info anyone may have.

Jeanine
    If you have Q2015, I would stay with it.  There is nothing new in subscription Quicken that does not involve online features.  Moving to a newer version would be a waste of your money.
    Just make sure that you have a copy of the installation program ( or CD) and the last patch release for QW2015 from this link (Quicken Patches) so that you can re-install it in the future if need be.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.