Migrating from Mac V 1.7.4 to Windows 10

I have used Quicken for Mac since it first came out. I am needing to migrate my Mac V1.7.4 files to Windows 10 and I see nothing on the discussion to tell me if this is possible and what I need to do to migrate my files...I have Quicken account history in my current system back to 1998.

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Spacerox

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue.  I believe that you're currently using quicken essentials. In order to get over to windows you'll have to get your file converted first on the mac side to a newer product. With the newest version of quicken you have the option to download on both windows and mac. 

I would recommend giving us a call so that we're able to help guide you through the process since it's quite a lengthy one. You can get in contact with us here. I would also recommend to have quite a bit of time as it will be a quite long process.

Please let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Spacerox  As Francisco said, it is possible to go from Quicken Essentials to Quicken Windows, but it requires a few steps. The good news is that when you buy a current Quicken subscription, you have the ability to download both Mac and Windows versions of the program. (In the past, you had to pay separately for each.) 

If you're currently using a Mac that runs the old Quicken Essentials (v1.7.4), it will not run the current Quicken Mac. You'll need a Mac running at least macOS El Capitan (10.11) or later to run the current Quicken Mac, and Sierra (10.12) or High Sierra (10.13) are recommended. You'll install Quicken Mac, and it will import your Quicken Essentials data file and convert it to the current format. After that, you'll export your Quicken Mac data file as a QXF file, move it to your Windows machine, install Quicken Windows, and import the QXF file. This QXF transfer doesn't work correctly for investment transaction,but since Quicken Essentials didn't have investment transactions, you won't lose anything there.

Working with Quicken Support, as Francisco suggested, is a good idea to walk you through the steps; I just wanted to give you an overview of what this process entails. You'll probably want to purchase your Quicken subscription as a first step, as that is what entitles you to free support. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Spacerox
    Spacerox Member
    Sorry that I am just getting back to this question that I had -- What customer service number do I call to get this assistance?

To further complicate: The laptop this current version is on is very old and NOT able to take another software install. I do have a newer Mac with the required version (10.14.6 Mojave) but the original V1.7.4 is not installed on it. Of course, I have backed up my Quicken file.

From this note, I believe I might need to first install the V1.7.4 on my updated version Mac and then upgrade to the newer Mac version. I could possibly skip the migration to MS and just keep it on my newer Mac. Wouldn't that make things much easier? If so, what would be my steps then? Thanks much
  • jacobs
    @Spacerox  If you purchase a Quicken subscription, on your newer Mac download the Quicken Mac program. Copy your data file from Essentials (1.7.4) to that machine. Launch Quicken Mac and after signing in, you'll be on a Let's Get Started page where you can selected to Start from a Quicken Essentials file. Quicken Mac will import your data into the current Quicken Mac format. Note that you do not need to install the Essentials (1.7.4) application on the newer Mac, just the data file.

And yes, if you find Quicken Mac meets your needs, you can stop there; you'll have your data and you'll be running the latest version of Quicken Mac.

If you still want to migrate to Quicken Windows, I'll stop my advising here as I'm purely a Quicken Mac user, and not expert on Quicken Windows or the conversion. The basic steps are listed above. You can search this forum for Mac to Windows or review this article on Quicken.com under the subheading "Convert from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows" for more information. Or you can call Quicken Support once you're at this step if you want someone to walk you through it. 
  • Spacerox
    Spacerox Member
    Thanks so much...Yes, I believe I'll just stick with the Mac version. The file is current on an 8 year old MacBook Pro and is barely making it. My Mac Air (4-5 years old) is much more robust.

File wise, I am assuming that's just my most recent "backup file". It's just called a "New Quicken files 6 (current date).quickenbackup" correct?

Thanks again. I appreciate your expertise.
  • jacobs
    @Spacerox  I can't tell you whether that's the right file, because I don't know what file names you have used. You should be able to judge by the file modification date. 

I'm not completely sure if Quicken Mac will import from an Essentials backup file as opposed to a live data file. If you can, find your Essentials data file, do File > Compress in the Finder to make a .zip copy of it, and move that .zip file to your Mac Air (via flash drive, AirDrop, or email). Double-click the .zip file to open it. Then when you launch Quicken Mac, on the Getting Started page when you select Start from a Quicken Essentials file, select that file.
  • Spacerox
    Spacerox Member
    jacobs - I did the upgrade and it all worked perfectly! I am now on my new(er) machine and about 10X faster. Much appreciated...You get 5 STARS!
  • jacobs
    Great! Glad it worked are you're up-to-date. 👍
This discussion has been closed.