Quicken for Mac v5.16 Released

Options
13»

Comments

• michaelweinberg
    michaelweinberg Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I strongly second MKL's and Garrett Jackson's comments. Quicken Mac has made VERY SUBSTANTIAL progress since it started the subscription model (as I frequently point of on various Facebook and other online discussion groups), for which I am grateful. However, my major frustration is the inability to run a report showing my YTD actual against my TYD budget because of the fact that, by the time the expenses for month are in, the month is over and Quicken includes my next month's budget amounts in my YTD report. At a minimum, I'd like to be able to run that report as of the last day of the prior month (e.g., so that, on, say August 5, I can see how is did against budget from Jan 1 though July 31--right now, on August 5 I can only run a report showing how I am doing through August 31, which is not helpful since I will not have incurred most of my August expenses at that point).
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Talking about reports, I tried yesterday to obtain an account summary to be able to decide whether I could afford a certain financial investment, and I was surprised that that I could not quite do that.

I turned to the Accounts Summary report, which seemed the most appropriate, but besides taking a lot more screen estate that the sidebar which has mostly the same information, I could not select a subset of the accounts, nor group by something other than account type, nor export to Excel for later processing.

This would be great features to have and maybe this is something in the works already as you redesign the report area.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @marcus, it would be great if this little editor box could be supercharged with markdown/html formatting buttons that web users have become accustomed to on most sites nowadays.

This would also make it easier for the team to read out reports that have better formatting in the first place.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @caram  Are you talking about the editing box on this website? Marcus manages development of Quicken Mac, but isn't responsible for this website. As you may be aware, this forum website is a cloud-hosted platform from a company called Vanilla. Quicken's community website administrators can make some configuration changes, but only within what the Vanilla product allows. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > As RickO says, this is by design.  The goal is to allow you to reject any QuickFill option and simply enter the payee with auto-filling the other fields.

Does this really make sense when the only remembered field is the Category and it's going to be replaced by the user anyway if necessary?

Furthermore, I've just noticed there could be more than one QuickFill rule per payee and, whilst I appreciate the power this gives us power users, I'm wondering if this is not an overkill for the majority of use cases. I'm now suddenly finding myself having to think on each transaction entry which of the myriads of QuickFills I want to use and whether I want to save this specific transaction as a quick fill, when my fingers just want to press away at entering the data with decades of ingrained habit.

Maybe this feature is just too new to me and I will quickly get used to it, but it's the first time that I've found something in QM that has not felt like a step forward from previous version of QM or Money. Or maybe I have the wrong default options selected.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Re HTML

Isn't that what the </> symbol on the editing bar is for?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    Options
    I turned to the Accounts Summary report,

The Account Summary report is an old legacy report carried over from the early versions of post-2007 QMac. It is not expected to be updated, but will eventually be replaced by a better version and the new reporting engine is further developed. In the mean time, the Net Worth Over Time Report (also a legacy report), generated for "this month", will at least let you choose which accounts to include.

• caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  The "café" QuickFill option is automatically selected for me. Is this what you would expect?

@marcus, you need to press an extra letter for the problem to appear. Press "e" instead of "é", and you will see "Café" is no longer selected, but "Create new Payee 'cafe'" is instead.

The correct behavior would be for "Café" to be selected always, whether I type "café" or "cafe".
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > One suggestion is to use ⌘Y after you save your transaction and refine the QuickFill rule and delete the items you don't want.

@marcus, how about adding a few additional items to preference:
    - category
    - category & tag (<- NEW)
    - category & amount (<- NEW)
    - category & tag & amount (<- NEW)
    - all fields

It sounds like it would be trivial to implement in the preference dialog and in QuickFill, since QM already has the underlying machinery.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    *Bills & Income / Schedule*

There is a date format discrepancy as highlighted in the example below. The same date is displayed using 2 different date formats (d/m vs. m/d). This is not just a display issue, but it may affect the decision you take based on the proximity of the date, depending on which date you look at.

Ideally, it's not just the Summary but also the Next 5 Payments that should be using the default macOS calendar.
  • TomJF
    TomJF Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    RickO: You are right. I had checked the show only unused. I now show 153 categories after unclicking as you suggested.

Thank you
  • TomJF
    TomJF Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @RickO Thanks. This does work. I'm so used to performing this function easily and simply in QM2007 using "QkReport" that I had not worked out how to do it in the new Quicken. I greatly miss the the versatility and simplicity afforded by "QkReport" from QM2007.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    TomJF said:
    @RickO Thanks. This does work. I'm so used to performing this function easily and simply in QM2007 using "QkReport" that I had not worked out how to do it in the new Quicken. I greatly miss the the versatility and simplicity afforded by "QkReport" from QM2007.

Of course just keep in mind that this only works for gathering data at the transaction level, meaning that it does not isolate any split lines that meet the memo search criterion. It also means that any total associated with the filtered data is at the transaction level and NOT at the split line level that matches.

Finally, it is currently not possible to save such a report.

All of this is quite different than QuickReports in QM2007, which is far more versatile and allows much more refinement and precision that is not possible in QMac currently.

This is one of the significant limitations of QMac right now (I have multiple reports that rely on that are based on Memo searches and totalling and subtotalling; all the powers of proper report formatting and manipulation).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @RickO said:
    > Re HTML
    > Isn't that what the </> symbol on the editing bar is for?

@RickO, you are privileged. The mere mortals like us don't have the </> on the editing bar.
  • RickO
    Options
    Interesting. I would not have expected that.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    > @RickO said:
    > Interesting. I would not have expected that.

@marcus, is there anything you can do to let us mere mortals have more/better editing options like some in the forum (you included)? It's pretty standard these days and it may be while until I get my 5-stars contributor stripe to access the </> button.

Also, enabling better quote options like you and some others have (indented grey background rather than >) would be neat.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caram said:
    > @RickO said:
    > Interesting. I would not have expected that.

@marcus, is there anything you can do to let us mere mortals have more/better editing options like some in the forum (you included)? It's pretty standard these days and it may be while until I get my 5-stars contributor stripe to access the </> button.

Also, enabling better quote options like you and some others have (indented grey background rather than >) would be neat.

From what one moderator said you need to get to 51 points to get the "full editor" with inline pictures and the HTML quoting and such.

You can see the number of points you have by looking at your profile.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > From what one moderator said you need to get to 51 points to get the "full editor" with inline pictures and the HTML quoting and such.

[removed - off-topic]
  • Steven T Williams
    Steven T Williams Member ✭✭
    Options
    Still can't print a simple Balance Sheet (Net Worth..) ON ONE PAGE for a past date that looks exactly like the sidebar with different numbers. Painful.
  • Jeff B
    Jeff B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Just cloned my hard drive and used it to install and test Quicken 5.16 - hoping Quickfill is fixed. It's better, but I still have to go into an old transaction, open the Quickfill dialog, then create the new one to get the all the info automatically filled out. Basically more work to run 5.16 than it is to stay at 3.x, where everything fills out perfectly when I enter the payee of a new transaction.

There's no way to get Quickfill to automatically recognize and use the memo field from previous transactions - like it always had until version 4.x ? Seems silly to have to do all this work just to conform to the new version.

Deleting the clone, still sticking with version 3. Hate that I have to click "cancel" twice every time I launch Quicken, wish I could turn off the notification about the new version, afraid I'm misfire and accidentally update.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @Jeff B I'm not sure I understand what problem you're having. In the current version, you can set a preference whether you want Memos automatically updated in QuickFill rules or not. Or you can override the preference on an individual transaction-by-transaction basiss to update the Memo field. And you can manually set individual QuickFill rules to have the Memo you want, and lock them to be unchanging. It's much more flexible than Quicken 2017.
  • Jeff B
    Jeff B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @Jacobs I checked preferences to retain all fields in Quickfill, then entered a monthly check I write, but the memo field was blank. Category was there, but not memo. Only way to get the memo field to show the account number I needed there was to go to a previous transaction, check the quickfill section under 'transactions', then go back and create the new check. Appears to be a one time step I'll have to do for each different payee. Categories automatically enter, but Memos until I open a previous transaction and save it into Quickfill - or am I missing something? For me it seems like less work, less clicking, by sticking with the old version Quicken 5.13
  • jacobs
    Options
    @“Jeff B” Yes, you will have to trigger Quicken to save the Memo field info for each Payee once to get over the start-up hump. They built the updated to not build Memo information into QuickFill rules because they believe the majority of users do not want Memos to be stored. So those of us who DO want the Memo stored need to spend awhile building up QuickFill rules. You can do this by editing a previous transaction as you described or you can manually edit/create QuickFill rules.

Yes, it’s a bit of a pain, but it’s a short-term annoyance until you get QuickFill rules built for your frequently-used Payees.

You can stay on the old version if you want, but you’re going to need to move forward at some point. Since I’d guess most current subscribers have already upgraded, I think it’s unlikely they will make changes to the code that updates your database to have QuickFill rules, so you’re going to face this issue whenever you do update.
  • Jeff B
    Jeff B Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, thanks for verifying what I thought was the case. I thought I might have been had a setting wrong or something. I'm sticking with the old version for now, will likely lower my "premium" subscription since I'll get no benefit from it.
This discussion has been closed.