Accurate cash flow reporting

I am looking to see my actual cash flow. This is slightly different than my expenses mainly because money paid in principal to my mortgage is not counted as an expense (which is correct). When I run the cash flow report, it excludes this if I exclude transfers. If I include transfers, it is a mess. It double counts things. For example, I charge $100 for groceries I get $100 under groceries and then $100 for paying the credit card bill (if in same period). If I try "Exclude internal" that is not correct either.

Looking at it a different way, I want starting net worth - ending net worth - unrealized capital gains.

How can I do this?

Best Answer

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about reports, but I get acceptable results in my Budget view when I add my mortgage account to the budget.

In the Budgets view click Manage Budget Categories, then select Transfers Out and click to put a checkmark next to your mortgage account. This will take care of the principal amount and any optional Additional Principal amount of your monthly payment.
    Also add the Escrow account, if you have one, and the Interest category used for your interest portion of the monthly payment and you've got your mortgage payment covered.
  • MichaelCortese
    MichaelCortese Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response. That worked. Very unintuitive to uncheck things you want to include.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to think of the selected accounts as a group with a circle around it. 

With Exclude internal Transfers selected, everything that crosses the the boundary - deposits, withdrawals, and transfers to other accounts - can be included in the report. You can narrow it down further by un-checking categories or payees.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • donaldw
    donaldw Member
    I use the Cash Flow Report included in previous Quicken Editions, but not the DeLuxe Version. Please make that available. This is the Table which shows by month the amount of cash flow by Category and Sub Category. I prefer the one year's data on one table. Any way can I get this version to produce that? or do I have to do a data dance with Excel?
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Cash Flow Report included in previous Quicken Editions, but not the DeLuxe Version. Please make that available. This is the Table which shows by month the amount of cash flow by Category and Sub Category. I prefer the one year's data on one table. Any way can I get this version to produce that? or do I have to do a data dance with Excel?
    In QWin Dlx, take a look at Reports > Banking > Cash Flow.
    Set Row to Category
    Set Columns to Month

You can also set Date Range, Accounts, etc.

See if this is what you are looking for.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

This discussion has been closed.