Moving Data File to Another Mac Yields different Account Amounts

Options
Followed the instructions for moving data file to a different Mac ("Save a Backup", move backup to new Mac, "Restore a Backup". Certain Accounts show different amounts. For example:

Original Account "Checking" = $884. Restored Backup Account "Checking" = $884.

Two of the five "Cash" categories do not match and one of the 11 "Credit Card" categories doesn't match.

I've chosen not to move forward with the "moved" data because I don't know if any of the transactions have also been modified.

After this happened, I looked for and removed any file that referenced "Quicken" (in the Library folder, preferences, etc. plus the app) from the destination Mac, rebooted, and reinstalled Quicken. This did not fix the problem.

Thoughts on why this is happening and what I should do to fix the problem?

Best Answer

• bobweder
    bobweder Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry for the tardy reply. Everything is resolved. Turns out it was a difference in the different display preferences on each computer exacerbated by the fact a few accounts needed a balance adjustment.

It was due to my lack of understanding of the various ways to display the account amounts.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    None of your data exists outside your data file.

I've never heard of transactions disappearing in a backup file moved to another Mac; many users successfully move their data file between two Macs vis backups. 

In your first example, you stated an account had different balances on the two Macs, but the amount you listed is the same. So I can't guess what you're seeing. If one of those numbers was a typo, then I'd say you need to look at the two files and try to find where there's a difference. Is there a missing transaction in one account? Or a duplicate transaction? Is there a placeholder transaction? Are the balances different a month ago? Two months ago? At the end of last year? Two years ago? Do a bit of checking to hunt down what's different. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • bobweder
    bobweder Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry for the tardy reply. Everything is resolved. Turns out it was a difference in the different display preferences on each computer exacerbated by the fact a few accounts needed a balance adjustment.

It was due to my lack of understanding of the various ways to display the account amounts.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Glad you got it resolved successfully.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.