How do I change the default budget used for reporting?

I create a new budget each year using the year in the budget name (i.e. Budget 2020). When I run reports using budget information the report does not keep the new budget as its default, even though I save the report with the new budget as its default.

Best Answers

• mpbundy
    mpbundy Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you very much, Scooterlam. Your response prompted me to recreate the same report "from scratch" and the new report uses both my current budget and current budget year. I had previously copied the report from the prior year and then modified both the budget and budget year; that was the problem. Thank you again!

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When accessing the Planning tab, Budgets view, which budget table have you selected in there?
    I always thought that this setting would establish the default for budget reports ...
    By the way, it is not necessary to create a new budget from scratch every year. You can simply extend the current budget table to the new year by either clicking the "[>]" button next to the year in the Annual View or by waiting for the first time you use Quicken in the new year and following prompts.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well on my quick test what I see is for the default/non saved current budget it selected the budget that I had selected on the Planning tab.  For the one in a saved current budget it gives me the one I saved it with.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mpbundy
    mpbundy Member ✭✭
    Thank for your response UKR. In the Planning/Budgets view the current year budget is selected (Budget 2020). I understand I do not need to create a new budget each year, however I have chosen to do that as a part of my yearly cycle.

I have also tried saving the report after I have selected the current year budget, but when I open the report again it defaults to an earlier year. It's not unworkable for me to change the budget each time I open the report, however Q is getting the default budget from somewhere so it would make sense that the user could change the default year. Thanks again for your response.
  • mpbundy
    mpbundy Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response, Cris_QPW. Yes in the budget view the most recently created budget is the default, however when I open a report that uses budget info the current year is not the default; that is what I was looking to change.
  • mpbundy
    mpbundy Member ✭✭
    Hey all, let me clarify. When I open the saved report the Budget is, in fact the current budget (Budget 2020). However it is the Budget Year that is defaulting to an earlier year (in my case 2018). Apologies for my misinformation, but I'm not sure what on earth the "Budget Year" is used for but it's the same issue; I'd like to change the Budget Year default to match my budget year.
  • mpbundy
    mpbundy Member ✭✭
    Addendum to my last post: The "Budget Year" does, in fact, affect the budget data displayed on the report.
  • mpbundy
    mpbundy Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you very much, Scooterlam. Your response prompted me to recreate the same report "from scratch" and the new report uses both my current budget and current budget year. I had previously copied the report from the prior year and then modified both the budget and budget year; that was the problem. Thank you again!
This discussion has been closed.