Quicken Essentials and High Sierra

Hi - Just updated my OS to High Sierra. Overdue I know. Now cannot open Quicken essentials or even extract the files to a new version.
Can anyone help with some workarounds?
Many thanks, Suren

Best Answer

Answers

• I now live in Australia. It appears that i cannot even run Quicken here? So how can i import the data?
  • Surely there is some way I can either:
    a) use a version of Quicken just on my computer outside of the US/Canada
    b) Import my Quicken Essentials data as a CSV or some compatible file?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Your Quicken Essentials data file is an SQL database. I don't imagine it would be easy to extract information in a usable form, unless you find some competing software that can still read a Quicken Essentials data file. Since Essentials hasn't been on the market for nearly 6 years, and the current Quicken Mac database has changed quite a bit since that time, I suspect it would be hard to find software to read the Essentials data file.

Of course, you could obtain or possibly find an older Mac to borrow with older macOS software where you could install your Essentials application and data file to access your data. I'm not sure what export functionality there was in Essentials that would be useful.

I dob't see why you can't run current Quicken in Australia. The issue is that they don't sell Quicken outside the US and Canada. Are you having trouble registering to purchase Quicken? Typically, if you provide a US address (real or imaginary) to register and Quicken ID, you can then proceed to purchase and download the software. (Since I'm in the US, I obviously can't test this to see what currently happens, but I know many people outside North America have reported doing this over the past several years.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • "if you provide a US address (real or imaginary) to register and Quicken ID, you can then proceed to purchase and download the software." - Think they need my credit card to be at the same address? Will try anyway.
    Thnaks for taking the time to answer
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    CC Billing address does not need to correspond to your registered address to the best of my knowledge.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.