TRP Simple account no longer updating quotes when updating, 401K account working OK

I have 2 retirement accounts with TRP, one (a Simple) from my old job and a new 401K with my current job. I know that the Simple plan requires me to enter my own transactions and not download them, but Quicken used to at least update the quotes so that I could see the value of the account. Since adding the new 401K towards the end of April, whenever I do the one-step update my Simple account shows a balance of $0 - none of the values are being updated. If I go into that account and ask it to update quotes, all but one of the funds will get a value back. I've contacted TRP and sent them a Quicken log file, and they said all is well at their end and it's a Quicken issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Resolved it?

I have Quicken Deluxe 2020 online subscription.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's start by making sure there are no hidden Placeholders that are affecting this account. Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure "Show hidden transactions" is checked. Placeholders will have a gray background even when not selected and will have an Action of Entry.

Also click on Holdings for the account and check the share counts and prices. What is zero, the share counts, the prices, or both?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Also just to clarify, you have these accounts set up as two different investing accounts in Quicken and not as one combined account, right?
  • Jim, to your first note - show hidden transactions is checked. When I first do a one-step update for all my accounts, holdings in this particular account all lose their price information (the new quote). When I then go into that particular account and request an "update quotes only" action, all the funds but one will populate their quote/price field.

To your 2nd note, not sure if I fully understand. These are set up as 2 different accounts but both under the umbrella of TRP (using same username and password to access them). Same as my Edward Jones accounts (which are all working correctly).
  • Jim_Harman
    Ok, so you have both accounts set up to download from TRP, but you must enter the transactions manually for the Simple account.

Because you are entering the transactions manually, there is no reason to have the Simple account set up for downloading. As an experiment, I suggest you un-check that account in your One Step Update settings. This will stop any data for that account from being downloaded from TRP. If that stops the zero quotes from being downloaded, you can go to the Account details for the SIMPLE account and on the Online Services tab, you can deactivate the online services for that account.

The quote update comes from Quicken's quote provider, and is not affected by this setting. Go to Tools > Security list and make sure the ticker is correct and Download Quotes box is checked for each of the securities in the SIMPLE account.
  • Jim, thanks again for your help. It doesn't appear to me that I can separate how my 2 different TRP accounts work in One Step Update. Settings I put in for one account also apply themselves to the other account, and I don't want to not download transactions for my 401K. And in the OSU settings menu, TRP only shows up as one listing (as does my EJ even though there are multiple accounts under its umbrella).

I did find in the Security list that the one fund that wasn't downloading quotes when I manually went in to update them was unchecked, so I've changed that which corrected that issue. So while my Simple account might 0 out when I update my TRP 401K, at least now I can with another step get those $ to show back up in my account listing / net worth. So thanks for your help there!
  • Jim_Harman
    Did you try un-checking the problem account in the One Step Update settings? That soul stop downloads for that account.
  • Jim, I don't see that I can do that just for my Simple account. It's either both of my TRP accounts, or neither of them - can't select just one, and I want to do the downloads for my current 401K
  • Thank you! I was afraid this would deactivate both of my TRP accounts so didn't try this earlier. I checked after deactivating, and it does appear as if it just affected this account not my 401K. So thanks for your help and your patience!
This discussion has been closed.