Creation of a monthly budget from previous year's data

There used to be a facility to create a monthly budget based on the previous year's data, but I can't find it. Is it still available?

Best Answer

• acferrad
    acferrad Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Sorry I see it in Planning -> Budgets -> Budget Actions -> Create new budget

Answers

• acferrad
    acferrad Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Sorry I see it in Planning -> Budgets -> Budget Actions -> Create new budget
  • acferrad
    acferrad Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately there is something missing in this. What I would like to do is create a monthly budget based on actual expenditure for the last 12 months. Then I want to selectively delete items, and change the value for the budgeted item. Is this possible? Is there a link to describe how this is done?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @acferrad

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I was taking a look to see if I was able to do what you were trying. If I understand correctly you were trying to make a 2019 budget to carry the values forward into the 2020 budget correct? While I was trying to do this I was unable to find a way to be able to. Without being able to start with 2019. You could go to reports -> Spending -> Itemized categories to be able to see your spending for 2019. This wouldn't create the budgets directly so you would still be manually typing in the numbers. 

Hope this helps out!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Thank you for having the above posts available regarding the use of a previous year's data as the basis for a new year's budget. Years ago, this was possible, those data being adapted to meet the new year's needs using tools similar to those available in the current Quicken/Mac software, e.g., 0 forwards and backwards.

I gave up on Quicken for years because of the change to a procedure I did not understand, let alone could use but have had to return to maintain financial sanity. The current budgeting situation is better than it has been but I would still like to be able to use my previous year's data in the process.

I do not know what is involved from a technical perspective but as a touted, labor-saving tool, does it not behove Quicken to reinstall this possibility?

Thank you,
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To create a budget based on the past twelve months of spending, chose Let Quicken select my transaction categories when you create the budget:

We may select Manage Budget Categories to delete categories and you may change the budgeted amounts using either the Graph view or Annual view by editing the amount for specific categories.
This discussion has been closed.