Any practical way to convert a quicken 2009 file to work in Quicken 2010 running on Windows 10?

Helping a friend set up her new Windows 10 computer. She has installed a copy of Quicken 2010 in her new machine but from reading it appears that her old Q 2009 file must first be converted in Q 2013, correct? Would it then be backwards compatible to Q 2010? (She went with Q 2010 after reading that was the oldest version compatible with Win 10, and under the assumption that surely Q 2009 would translate to 2010, apparently wrong). And some have said the converted file may not be stable going forward, while others say no problem. Just want to confirm this before I tell her to bight the bullet and start a new file in here Q 2010. Many thanks in advance.

Best Answers

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @bill spurlock,

I believe pretty much all you need to help your friend is located here:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Let us know if you have any followup questions!

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    QW2010 should successfully convert the QW2009 file without issues.
    It used to be that the article that refers to using 2013 used to state 2010.
    DO NOT USE 2013.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• bill spurlock
    bill spurlock Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @bill spurlock,
    >
    > I believe pretty much all you need to help your friend is located here:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken
    >
    > Let us know if you have any followup questions!
    >
    > Frankx

Thanks, yes I've read that link several times but others have said the resulting file could be unstable as new data are added.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The article on converting is to get older versions converted to a current version or a version newer than 2013.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• bill spurlock
    bill spurlock Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > QW2010 should successfully convert the QW2009 file without issues.It used to be that the article that refers to using 2013 used to state 2010.DO NOT USE 2013.

Hmmm, the 2009 file is a QIF but 2010 only seems to allow QDF file imports. Am I looking in the wrong place for the file to import? Thank you.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes you are - you need the file set that @volvogirl referred to above.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• bill spurlock
    bill spurlock Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > She's going from 2009 to 2010?  That's just 1 year newer.  Then 2013 is not going to help.  No it is not backward compatible.  Did she try just opening her file in 2010?  It should automatically convert it.  
    >
    > PS......If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

Many thanks. In 2009 I did File/Export and got a QIF file which 2010 does not recognize. I guess I need to go back and find just the QDF file and try to open it in 2010?
  • volvogirl
    I didn't see your last post.  Yes find the .qdf and any others.  They should be in Documents then in a Quicken folder.  Search the computer for all files ending in .qdf.  Then you just open it in the new program.  Not import it.

• bill spurlock
    bill spurlock Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > How did she get a .qif File? Where is her actual data files?   She might be able to import a .qif into an existing data file but I don't know how that works.  Has she started a new file in 2010?  Then go up to File-Import.

In 2009 I believe I clicked on File/Export and the resulting file was a QIF. But maybe (likely) I'm confused there. I will look again to find the data files location and locate the QDF. No new file started yet, should we do that before trying to import? Thanks again.
  • bill spurlock
    bill spurlock Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > As I said you don't import it.  You just OPEN the .qdf file, go to File-Open.  You will probably need the other files I indicated way up above.  Just Copy the whole Quicken folder from the Documents of the old computer to a usb flash drive.  Or the folder where you find the .qdf file.

Thank you, I will report back tomorrow.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cleanest process with 2009 -> 2010 while changing computers is to do a Quicken Backup on 2009 and a Quicken Restore on 2010.
    Also, has anyone mentioned downloading and running the last 2010 patch release that you can get at this link: Quicken Patches
    Do this before doing the Restore.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• bill spurlock
    bill spurlock Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > The cleanest process with 2009 -> 2010 while changing computers is to do a Quicken Backup on 2009 and a Quicken Restore on 2010.
    > Also, has anyone mentioned downloading and running the last 2010 patch release that you can get at this link: Quicken Patches
    > Do this before doing the Restore.

Tried that but 2010 did not recognize the backup file, and the backup file was only 1 kb so it was obviously not right. File would not attach. Will try again tomorrow.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""bill spurlock" ,

You are helping a friend, so this begs to ask: Are you restoring to Quicken 2010, or to Quicken 2020, because the procedures are completely different.

If she is indeed using Quicken 2010 and not 2020, then create a Brand New Folder on the Desktop of the older operating system, called Quicken Backup. Now simply use Quicken 2009 to do a Manual Backup to that New Folder, called Quicken Backup.

Now copy the folder to a NAS Hard Drive or a USB Thumb Drive.

Then plug the Thumb Drive into the new computer. Use Quicken 2010 to restore the file from the USB Thumb Drive. You may need to copy the folder to the Desktop.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• bill spurlock
    bill spurlock Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    > @bill spurlock said:
    > > @volvogirl said:
    > > As I said you don't import it.  You just OPEN the .qdf file, go to File-Open.  You will probably need the other files I indicated way up above.  Just Copy the whole Quicken folder from the Documents of the old computer to a usb flash drive.  Or the folder where you find the .qdf file.
    >
    > Thank you, I will report back tomorrow.

Success! Thank you volvogirl, this simple process worked perfectly. I had read multiple places that I had to first go through Q 2013 so that got me off on the wrong foot, then I misunderstood Export/Import, then finally the 2009 backup files were empty files for some reason. So just copying the old Quicken file to a thumb drive and doing File/Open in the new machine worked perfectly. It's installed and backed up.

Thanks to all who replied for your generosity.
  • volvogirl
    QB file?  QB means QuickBooks not Quicken..  

• bill spurlock
    bill spurlock Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > QB file?  QB means QuickBooks not Quicken..  

Right, I saw my mistake but did not see a way to edit a post.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Click on the Gear in the upper right of your post.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • bill spurlock
    bill spurlock Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Click on the Gear in the upper right of your post.

Fixed, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.