Check Pay Errors in 5.16.1

I am unable to use Check Pay in 5.16.1. I get these two error messages. This is preventing me from paying bills because Quicken Bill Pay no longer works, despite assurances that it would work until August.
<<Payee is not set up for Check Pay - You will need to provide and verify the payee's mailing address. Would you like to set up this payee for Check Pay?>>
If I follow the prompt, it does not allow me to use the 60 or so payees already in my Payees and Rules list. It was a painful transition from 2007 last year when I had to manually re-enter the payee addresses and account numbers, and telephones, and I do NOT want to do that a second time.
<<An error occurred during your online banking update. The specified payee list ID does not exist or no longer exists.>>
Similar frustration. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    airform13 said:
    "Payee is not set up for Check Pay - You will need to provide and verify the payee's mailing address. Would you like to set up this payee for Check Pay?"

If I follow the prompt, it does not allow me to use the 60 or so payees already in my Payees and Rules list. It was a painful transition from 2007 last year when I had to manually re-enter the payee addresses and account numbers, and telephones, and I do NOT want to do that a second time.
    Have you tried following the prompt and setting up one of your Payees to see if it will work? You said you're "unable to use Check Pay", and I'm trying to understand if there is something that is actually not working, or if it's just that you don't want to have to set up addresses again? The former would be a bug; the latter would be an ease-of-use issue.

I don't use Check Pay, but I don't believe there is any way to transfer Payee address and account info from the old Quicken Bill Pay to the new Check Pay and Quick Pay in Quicken Mac. (Hopefully someone will correct me if that's wrong.) And before you say it, I'll say think that was a significant omission on the part of the developers not to come up with a more automated conversion -- but it may be that's the reality you need to deal with.

If you have 60 payees you pay with Quicken Bill Pay, I'm hoping you don't pay all of them monthly, do you? You should be aware of the limits on the number of bills you can pay per month with Check Pay and Quick Pay. Consult this page on the Quicken website which lays out the complicated limits. They are pushing users to use mostly electronic payments (Quick Pay) with vendors who support it; the limit for generating printed & mailed checks (Check Pay) is 3, 6, or 15 depending on your current situation. At this time, there is no way to pay more to do additional payments. Quicken has not yet indicated whether they will be adding the capability to purchase additional online payments in the future.

For the second issue in your post, could you provide more detail: what were you trying to do when you got the message? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • airform13
    airform13 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I will try sending by manually entering a payee and post the results here. You are right that I don't use all every month, there are ones I use annually and monthly; they represent almost 20 years of input and revision. There are several places in the program that tie to a payee list in this same software, so what use is that list then? If the software can't access them, I don't imagine it would be unreasonably hard to program a routine to map the fields and migrate the data to where it could be accessed by the new system.
  • airform13
    airform13 Member ✭✭
    (I meant quarterly, not monthly).
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can have a Payee with address information for print-at-home checks, and that's not related to the old Qucoen Bill Pay data at all. So no, it doesn't all make sense. ;) I suspect it has to do with different pieces of the program developed at different times, plus Quicken Bill Pay being a third-party service.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • airform13
    airform13 Member ✭✭
    Hi, I tried sending a Check Pay payment using Bill Pay/Pay with Check Pay. It prompts me for payee info, which entered manually. I also tried a second payment where I typed the payee and it populated the address from the Payees and Rules list, (which I was happy to see!). I hit send and got the same results for both: Check # says 90101 in both cases, and the Status column shows an orange paper airplane with a stalled progress wheel. (It should turn into an orange sealed envelope if it's successful, right?) This happened last week also, and it never went. I called tech support and they said they would escalate my inquiry, but never heard back. So the answer is, I can't send via Check Pay, regardless of the payee input method. Please advise as to next steps, and thanks for your valuable input.
  • airform13
    airform13 Member ✭✭
    Pursuant to my last comment the plot thickens: looking at my banking transactions, the payment last week DID go through, 3 days later than I wanted. I had deleted it from my Quicken register as it still had the stalled progress wheel. My bank shows it as check 90101 also. I had gone to the bank to pay the bill with a check, so now I have made a double mortgage payment and am in danger of being over drawn!
This discussion has been closed.