Load Quicken on my laptop as backup

I have Quicken Deluxe on desktop, but have a backup for traveling.  Can I load my copy of Quicken Deluxe on laptop along with the same data file used on desktop so I can use when on the road?  Thought that might be possible since when I start Quicken, it checks against an activation server to see if my data file is licensed.  But maybe it only checks software, not sure what it checks. 

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    With subscription Quicken, you can install Quicken on as many computers as you want, but they will all need to be registered to the same Quicken Id, so you don't want to give your neighbor a copy.
    There is no way to keep the data files on the two computers in sync via Quicken, so what you will need to do is to copy the data file back and forth as needed.  The easiest and cleanest method is to do a Quicken Backup to a thumbdrive and then do a Quicken Restore to move the file.
    Just remember which computer has the "master" copy so that you don't make updates on the computer with an out-of-date data file.
    Also, do not think that you can keep the file on a shared folder or home network drive, Quicken does excessive reads/writes and doing that over a network could lead to data file corruption.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don't want to use cloud storage, just don't trust the security.  I know they do their best, but if someone wants in bad enough, they will do it.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    With subscription Quicken, you can install Quicken on as many computers as you want, but they will all need to be registered to the same Quicken Id, so you don't want to give your neighbor a copy.
    There is no way to keep the data files on the two computers in sync via Quicken, so what you will need to do is to copy the data file back and forth as needed.  The easiest and cleanest method is to do a Quicken Backup to a thumbdrive and then do a Quicken Restore to move the file.
    Just remember which computer has the "master" copy so that you don't make updates on the computer with an out-of-date data file.
    Also, do not think that you can keep the file on a shared folder or home network drive, Quicken does excessive reads/writes and doing that over a network could lead to data file corruption.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, even on my desktop after each use I backup to a thumb drive.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are halfway there.  When you go on the road, do the restore to the laptop and just make sure that you do the move back to the desktop when you get back home.
    I do the same and I don't waste time keeping the laptop up-to-date in between trips, since it is only for travel.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Got it done tested and working, thanks.  I even deleted the data file off laptop (after backing up to thumb drive).   Laptop is easier to snatch away when laying around. 
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it done tested and working, thanks.  I even deleted the data file off laptop (after backing up to thumb drive).   Laptop is easier to snatch away when laying around. 
    My solution to that is using an encrypted data vault, there are several of them around, some even come with anti-virus software.
    The vault looks like a disk drive to Windows and the other programs.  I keep only my Quicken files in one of them and I only have it active/open when I am using Quicken.
    If someone did steal any of the computers, they would still have to beat the encryption to get to my Quicken data files.

This discussion has been closed.