Why to I now have to login to Quicken when trying to download transactions from my bank?

I just got a Quicken update, Version R27.24 Build 27.1.27.24, and there is a new requirement I haven't had to do before, I MUST login to Quicken to download transactions from my bank?
I have had the login screen before but just closed it, can't do that any more.
I don't use the Cloud so I can't think of any reason I would have to login to Quicken.
What am I missing.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Whether you realize it or not Quicken always logs in to the Quicken servers before any kind of online activity.  For the most part you don't see this because the cache the log in information and only occasionally prompt you for your password.

If nothing else they will be checking that your subscription is up to date.
    But for downloading transactions there is also checking to see if the way to contact the financial institution has changed.  And there is check for if there are updates for Quicken.

As for your transactions.  There are two ways that they will be stored on a server.
    One is Express Web Connect.  That is Quicken talking to Intuit servers that talk to your financial institution to get the transactions.  And the Intuit servers cache those transactions on their server for a period or time.  They say it is about 30 days worth.

The other way is if you sync your transactions to the Quicken cloud account for use with Quicken Web and/or Quicken Mobile.

As for "why now".  Even though I didn't get prompted I did notice that when 27.24 was installed it reinitialized a bit more than usually.  For instance it asked me if I wanted to see the "Tour" again.  And in other threads other people had to actually log out of the Quicken cloud account and back in.  I guess different people's data files were in different states or "last time checked for license" or something like that.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When does thia action happen... need some details -
    - when you first start Quicken ?
    - when you enter the OSU screen ?
    - when you click UPDATE on the OSU screen ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mls
    mls Member ✭✭✭
    I should have added that, because I have finance work to do, and I didn't have an alternative, I did enter my Quicken password to allow me to proceed to download transactions, and it worked just fine.

I typically don't use OSU, I open the account I need to and download from there. The Update Transactions from there. But I think it would be the same, the Quicken login screen pops up when the password screen comes.

Just now I ran a test. I couldn't find a way to logout of Quicken from Quicken, so I closed everything and rebooted my computer. When I opened Quicken and opened OSU there was no pop up telling me to login to Quicken. Same for downloading transactions from within an account.

So now I'm wondering if it was just a one time thing...but my question remains, Why? (Why am I required to be logged in to Quicken to use Quicken?) It was a new 'feature' a few updates back, but I could skip it. With this last update it has become a requirement. I like to keep my financial data private, not on a cloud, but on my thumb drive. I don't know what this new 'login to Quicken' has done. Has it opened a permanent link/channel from my desktop to Quicken? How do I know my data is still private?

Quicken already has a link to my account and does automatic downloads, why is there something new? If it was in a version content description, I missed it.

Hope this explains it better.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Whether you realize it or not Quicken always logs in to the Quicken servers before any kind of online activity.  For the most part you don't see this because the cache the log in information and only occasionally prompt you for your password.

If nothing else they will be checking that your subscription is up to date.
    But for downloading transactions there is also checking to see if the way to contact the financial institution has changed.  And there is check for if there are updates for Quicken.

As for your transactions.  There are two ways that they will be stored on a server.
    One is Express Web Connect.  That is Quicken talking to Intuit servers that talk to your financial institution to get the transactions.  And the Intuit servers cache those transactions on their server for a period or time.  They say it is about 30 days worth.

The other way is if you sync your transactions to the Quicken cloud account for use with Quicken Web and/or Quicken Mobile.

As for "why now".  Even though I didn't get prompted I did notice that when 27.24 was installed it reinitialized a bit more than usually.  For instance it asked me if I wanted to see the "Tour" again.  And in other threads other people had to actually log out of the Quicken cloud account and back in.  I guess different people's data files were in different states or "last time checked for license" or something like that.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mls
    mls Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you so very much for the thorough explanation, I really appreciate it. I had no idea about most of what you wrote, good to know.

I know Quicken has done a lot to create the cloud and make the Mobile access available. As for me, I don't need it, therefore I don't use it, at least not yet. One of the reasons I have not switched to any of the other financial products is because most of them require you to work from the cloud. Fortunately Quicken has finally repaired the budget/actuals issues, so I am once again a very happy Quicken user (since 97).
This discussion has been closed.