Update investment news and prices for the week is not working.

Ken@1Osprey
Ken@1Osprey Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Investing (Windows)
Went to update investment news and prices for the week and no updates available. Is this due to version change this week?

Best Answer

• Ken@1Osprey
    Ken@1Osprey Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Frank, Just to close out on this item. I spoke to Quicken support for over 2 hours yesterday. long short they were unable to help.

Frank you were on the right track but missing a piece.

Quicken users are required to have internet connectivity. That connectivity is dependent upon access to the Quicken secure connection and your physical connectivity. Last evening, I tried a solution that did not work but this morning I have successfully connected.

The trick was to uninstall my network adapter and reboot. After the reboot, I attempted to connect but was unsuccessful. This morning success.

Thanks Frank and Jim for your input

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    al Hi @Ken@1Osprey,

There was a staged release of a new Update to Version R27.20 that began rolling out on June 19th.  If you are unsure, you can check whether you received that update by going to "Help" > "About Quicken".

From your sentence above - the prices of your securities are not being updated - can you tell us the date of your last price update?  Also,if you typically download transactions from your financial institutions - is that downloading process currently working or not?  Also can you double check that you have internet connectivity outside of Quicken (e.g. logon to a news type page in your web browser)?

Get back to us with the above information and we'll go from there.

Thanks

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ken@1Osprey
    Ken@1Osprey Member ✭✭
    Frankx
    Thank you for your response.

Responding to your comments and questions:
    ▪︎ I believe I completed an update one day last week. I am on version R27.24 build 27.1.27.24.

▪︎ The last update was June 19.

▪︎No, I don't download from financial institutions.

▪︎No problem with internet connectivity (Wouldn't be able to communicate with you if that were a problem.....:) )

Look forward to your thoughts on this.

Ken
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Ken@Osprey,

There have been recent reports of users having this issue when using One Step Update.  Try this fix:

1) Open the "Investing" Tab;
    2) Hit the "Update" button

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ken@1Osprey
    Ken@1Osprey Member ✭✭
    I have never used the "One Step Update" until yesterday. I exclusively use the "Update" button. No good.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ken@1Osprey,

Are you getting any error codes or messages when or after you initiate the update?  Did you try the "Update" > "Historical prices" > "Last Five days"?  If not, please try that and report back.

Frankx

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, let's get some basics out of the way.
    --Go to Tools > Security list.
      -- Is Download Quotes checked for the securities you are interested in?
      -- If you want quotes for any securities you don't currently hold, is Watch List also checked?

-- On the Investing > Portfolio page, what date does it show at the bottom for the last update?
      -- Are there little clocks next to the prices, indicating that they are out of date?

-- On that page, if you click on Update, it should update the quotes you have selected.
      -- Does the date and time change when you do this?
      -- Do the quotes change and/or the clocks go away?

Note that with the most recent software update, Quicken only updates the most recent prices when you click on Update. Presumably you can still get earlier prices by clicking the down arrow next to Update and selecting Historical prices. 

If you only update once a week and you don't get the historical prices, you may miss mid-week prices and perhaps also the security news items. I have not experimented with this.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ken@1Osprey
    Ken@1Osprey Member ✭✭
    Not getting anything back.
  • Jim_Harman
    Not answering my questions.
  • Ken@1Osprey
    Ken@1Osprey Member ✭✭
    Hey Jim,
    Thanks for your input.

Relative to the "Basics' .... Fair place to start but that is not the issue.

As for the bottom of the page the notice says "Online quotes delayed at least 15 minutes. Options quotes are previous day's close. Updated 6/20/2020 at 3:34PM local time."
    Yes there are little clocks indicating that the prices are out of date.

As for the other questions:
    No
    No
    No

Prior to the update this past week, at least for the past 20 years or so that I've been using the software, I always get the entire weeks prices but the news for the last day on my weekend updates. If that is a change please advise. The good folks at Quicken should advise users of that capability no longer being available.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Ken@1Osprey,

Sorry that I wasn't able to help you.  As I mentioned, others seem to have similar issues since the latest update. 

I would suggest that you contact Quicken support via this linkThey are available tomorrow - the normal hours of operation are - 5 am - 5 pm PDT Monday-Friday
    Good luck.

Frankx

• Jim_Harman
    All I know is what it says in the release notes for R27.20:

Improved: Increased speed of updating investment quotes from the investments tab by not downloading historical quotes. Historical quotes are always downloaded during One Step Update. To include historical quotes from the Portfolio View, use Shift-Get Quotes.

It seems odd that they have a Shift-Get Quotes when there is also a Historical Prices option. IIRC the normal quotes would previously include the past 7 days, maybe the Historical Prices is for longer time periods.
  • Ken@1Osprey
    Ken@1Osprey Member ✭✭
    Frank,
    Thank you for the time. I will reach out to support tomorrow.

Jim,
    Thanks for the assist. Doesn't look like those items are impacting me or at least let's hope so. I will take Frank's suggestion and see if I can get an answer via Quicken support.
    My only thought was to reload a old version and hopefully get the opportunity to update my prices before the software attempts to update automatically, of course that won't really solve the issue. Thanks again.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW - suggest you be more specific when using the word "update" in the topic title
    and associated postings..... as it could relate to either -
    A - the Quicken software "updates" from one version to another
    B - the downloading of investment security prices, quotes, news
    I have edited the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ken@1Osprey
    Ken@1Osprey Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Frank, Just to close out on this item. I spoke to Quicken support for over 2 hours yesterday. long short they were unable to help.

Frank you were on the right track but missing a piece.

Quicken users are required to have internet connectivity. That connectivity is dependent upon access to the Quicken secure connection and your physical connectivity. Last evening, I tried a solution that did not work but this morning I have successfully connected.

The trick was to uninstall my network adapter and reboot. After the reboot, I attempted to connect but was unsuccessful. This morning success.

Thanks Frank and Jim for your input
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Ken@1Osprey,

Glad to hear that you have solved your problem.  I don't think I've ever seen that procedure discussed on this forum, but I will try to remember it going forward!

Take care!

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.