Updated to 27.1.27.24 - many things broken

I just went through the standard automatic update and when finished updating to version 27.1.27.24, several things stopped working.
1) Backup does nothing. Pick "backup and restore" then "Backup Quicken File". Result: nothing happens.
2) Attempt Validate and Repair while file is open in Quicken. Result: Error message - unable to close file.

By the way, I've been using quicken for many years and have had no issues. It was working fine prior to this update. What gives?

Best Answers

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Answer ✓
    Just got off the phone with Quicken support. The issue was that the quicken folder and all files in it were read-only. This was causing all the weird behavior. After moving the folder and making the files inside read/write, all is fixed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Answer ✓
    Another note on the resolution of my problem: After a recent windows 10 update, the updater showed me an option for something called "Controlled Folder Access". This protects files, folders, and memory areas on your device from unauthorized changes by unfriendly applications (including ransomware). Seemed like a good idea, so I said yes, turn it on. Unfortunately, Quicken is not in the list of "good" applications, and therefore, windows prevents Quicken from writing to the Quicken data file. The toggle for this is found in Windows Security - Virus and Threat Protection - Manage Ransomware Protection.

Answers

• Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would try running the Mondo Patch. You can download it here.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Answer ✓
    Just got off the phone with Quicken support. The issue was that the quicken folder and all files in it were read-only. This was causing all the weird behavior. After moving the folder and making the files inside read/write, all is fixed.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @"billmowat ,

What happens, sometimes, for any software, you get a corrupted installation. Reinstalling over top an existing installation, does not fix things.

Try this procedure and see if this works:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Allow QcleanUi to uninstall Quicken program, not Windows.

But up to you.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Hokieinidaho
    Hokieinidaho Member ✭✭✭
    One of the other things that broke is keyboard short-cut to enter transactions (cntl-A). Now have to use my mouse when entering transactions. NOT an improvement. Would have entered as new topic but for some reason the start new thread is missing from the community pages.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2020
    After installing the latest "update" on 30 june 2020 , Quicken will start & then IMMEDIATELY overlay a screen that says I need to "renew" . Following its steps, it eventually shows I am good thru Jan 2010 {which is True ). Then the "renewal" screen pops up again..

IT IS AN ENDLESS DO LOOP

I tried running

QW27.1.27.24MPatch.EXE

but it cured NOTHING.

I am not a happy user.

[email removed]
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Answer ✓
    Another note on the resolution of my problem: After a recent windows 10 update, the updater showed me an option for something called "Controlled Folder Access". This protects files, folders, and memory areas on your device from unauthorized changes by unfriendly applications (including ransomware). Seemed like a good idea, so I said yes, turn it on. Unfortunately, Quicken is not in the list of "good" applications, and therefore, windows prevents Quicken from writing to the Quicken data file. The toggle for this is found in Windows Security - Virus and Threat Protection - Manage Ransomware Protection.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    billmowat said:
    @billmowat You have control of that list (at least I see this on my Windows 10 build 2004 version):

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • P. Maier
    P. Maier Member ✭✭
    > @Hokieinidaho said:
    > One of the other things that broke is keyboard short-cut to enter transactions (cntl-A). Now have to use my mouse when entering transactions. NOT an improvement. Would have entered as new topic but for some reason the start new thread is missing from the community pages.

This infuriates me to no end! Years and years of using that keyboard short-cut, and now it's gone! WHY!?!? PLEASE bring it back!
This discussion has been closed.