Reconcile: Difference is 0, but wants to adjust balance.

I go through the reconcile process as I have been doing for years. I go though the statement, clicking off the items in Quicken Reconcile, and when I'm done, the "Difference" amount in bold towards the bottom right of the reconcile window is $0.00. Great, it's balanced. But when I click "Done", I get a popup that says there's a $50.00 discrepancy that needs to be adjusted. Isn't this a contradiction? The difference is 0, but there's a $50.00 difference? What's that about? and what do I do about it?
Tagged:

Answers

• philroy
    philroy Member
    Er, pilot error. I need to put my glasses on. And maybe clean my screen.

I thought the difference was '$0.00' It was actually '50.00'.

Sorry to have bothered you.
  • JayDC
    JayDC Member ✭✭✭
    Actually I have had the same thing happen. When I clicked "done" it added two offsetting adjustments. One positive, one negative, so the bottomline was "zero" change. Not sure why it would do that!
  • I have the same issue as jayDC. the reconcile shows a negative number with the same positive number and when you try to mark done it wants to add an adjustment.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue as jayDC. the reconcile shows a negative number with the same positive number and when you try to mark done it wants to add an adjustment.

Does this perhaps occur in a credit card account where you are carrying an Overpaid (Credit) Balance right now? This would show in the printed statement as something like 12.34 CR and would have to be entered in a Manual Reconcile's Ending Balance as -12.34 ... yes, negative, because you normally enter a balance you own as a positive number, even though in bookkeeping terms it's a negative number. Quicken internally does a (amount)*(-1) calculation to fix the sign.
  • No I am not carrying a credit over.
  • It seems like the program is taking the positive and negative numbers and adding them together as if they were both positive and wanting to add a account adjustment.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hello @thelampes12

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.