Before I migrate to the new billpay system.....

Options
I am confused about whether there is really a new service somewhere or if this is just the already existing ability to pay bills from the app. I have read some of the help files and I am thinking it is just the existing setup for paying bills in the app rather than a new service, but they keep acting like it's a new service.

If this is just the existing bill pay from the app, is it faster now? A few years ago when I first signed up I wanted to pay right from Quicken, but the scheduled pay dates were always about 3 days later than what I saw in the online billpay, so I have been using the online one.

Best Answer

Answers

• Larea
    Larea Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks so much. When I was talking about the "other service" what I meant was the ability to pay a bill by entering the amount into the Quicken app, and check the box for "online payment." On the payees that were set up in the app, it would say "This account is enabled for Bill Pay." I set up the subscription for Quicken and the bill pay service at the same time and I assumed this was also part of the bill pay service. But whenever I used the method inside the program, the pay dates were always later. I therefore used the quickenbillpay.com site because it was faster and stopped using the in-app method. I thought that the items I paid through the app went through Quicken bill pay because at the bottom of that window it has a button "See more tips on using Bill Pay in Quicken." But after reading your note and looking at my settings, it appears it is set up to use my bank.

So in effect if I sign up for the new Bill Pay would I be using the register method but just having a third party pay the bills vs my bank? And does it save me a fee if I leave the Quicken register working through my bank? Appreciate your helping to clarify this!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @Larea,

You asked:

So in effect if I sign up for the new Bill Pay would I be using the register method but just having a third party pay the bills vs my bank?  Yes, you'll be paying your bills through the Quicken app, but payments will be made by the third party.

And does it save me a fee if I leave the Quicken register working through my bank? It depends on whether your bank is charging you for the bill pay service through their system.  Many banks do not charge a fee (like PNC and Chase) but some do. You should see that fee on your monthly bank statement, if they do charge for this service.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Pete36@
    Pete36@ Member ✭✭
    Options
    What is the solution if I am unable to set up a Quick Pay account with a vendor? When entering username/password info, I seem to establish a connection with the company but in the case of my gas company (National Grid) and my local electric company, the wheels spin for 5-10 minutes and then time-out.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Pete36@  You could set up the Payee for Check Pay (to mail a physical check) instead, but keep in mind you have a very limited number of Check Pay transactions per month, and so far there isn't a way to pay to increase the number. 

You might want to contact Quicken Support to see if they can diagnose the problem with this Payee or escalate it. (Phone support is best, because they can share your Quicken screen to see exactly what you're seeing.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.