Can I transfer data from the Quicken app to a new Mac?

MacBook Pro died in early April, not recoverable. Started using the Quicken app on my iPad since then. Finally got a new MacBook Air and set up a new Quicken account. Can I transfer the data on the app to the new account? That is, if I can figure out how to get my previous file off the Cloud.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Dana108
    Dana108 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the info, had a feeling that was the case. Now I'm trying to access the Cloud to get the pre-app info from the saved file. No luck so far.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What failed on the old Mac?
    If it wasn't the hard drive which failed, you should be able to have someone recover your data from the drive and transfer it to the new Mac.
    As to backups ... did you run Time Machine on the old Mac? Or some other backup to external storage media or cloud servers?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Dana108 I'm not sure how much it will help, but I notice that if you log into Quicken Web and select transactions in one of the register, there is an option to export those transactions to a CSV file.

Also note that you might be able to catch up on some of those transactions by downloading them straight from the financial institution(s) and/or if supported by the financial institution download and import a Web Connect/QFX file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dana108
    Dana108 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > What failed on the old Mac?
    > If it wasn't the hard drive which failed, you should be able to have someone recover your data from the drive and transfer it to the new Mac.As to backups ... did you run Time Machine on the old Mac? Or some other backup to external storage media or cloud servers?

The Mac suffered extensive water damage. The Apple tech said the hard drive 'may' be safe, but it could be expensive to find out. I've lost three months of Quicken data that I'll need for 2020 taxes - January through early April 2020 - that I can probably retrieve manually or, as Chris_QPW says, may be able to download from the various financial institutions. The rest of the stuff on the hard drive isn't really missed. I had hoped I could locate the saved file on iCloud, which I thought was the purpose of all the backups I did, but no luck.
  • Dana108
    Dana108 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > @Dana108 I'm not sure how much it will help, but I notice that if you log into Quicken Web and select transactions in one of the register, there is an option to export those transactions to a CSV file.
    >
    > Also note that you might be able to catch up on some of those transactions by downloading them straight from the financial institution(s) and/or if supported by the financial institution download and import a Web Connect/QFX file.

Chris_QPW: I tried your suggestion of importing a file from my Wells Fargo account and it worked to some degree - it downloaded files only from a pre-set date range. Any other range I requested gave me only the live balance. So that, along with a printed PDF of 2020 files, gives me something to work with. Thank you for the suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.