Data File Loss - R27.28

I've been receiving updates for 1 1/2 yrs. Each time, my data files remain untouched - until now. With this update, my master data file's name was changed and, when I opened it, it contained none of my accounts ... nothing! Fortunately, I have a backup file on an external drive which I had to revert to. This may have something to do with my not having my data in the Cloud; however, the update should warn you if this is the case.

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Paul Hendrix

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. That is quite odd that your file changed without any of your accounts. Was it not located in the place it normally would be? I've had quicken sometimes open alternate files but I generally just needed to re open my correct file. If you check under file at the bottom it should have your 4 most recently used files there. Does it not show the correct file anymore? I would also like to note that the quicken cloud is more of an add on to your file allowing you to view it on the go rather than a cloud storage like google drive or dropbox.

In any case I am glad that you did have an external backup that you were able to load back up into. It's always good to have one whether it's on a cloud storage or external storage. 

I'll see if I can see if anyone had any similar issues as well. 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• The update renamed my QDF data file and reduced it from 25 MB to 370 KB with nothing in it. The same thing happened to the backup file on the hard drive as well.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

I've never seen a Quicken update rename a Quicken data file nor reduce the file size.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
     This may have something to do with my not having my data in the Cloud; however, the update should warn you if this is the case.
    Hi @""Paul Hendrix" ,

Having the File name in the Cloud doesn't hurt as long as you don't Sync Data to have all your information contained in one place.

Every time you make changes to the Data File, you should do a Manual Backup before you close Quicken onto an External Device.

You can lose your Data File, without batting an eye.

In fact get into a Habit of restoring your Data File after each update and don't worry losing the data.

However, I would run a Complete Anti-Virus Scan, if you notice a problem.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.