How to install Quicken for Windows and avoid MS OneDrive and not corrupt calendar

System: Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.19041 Build 19041, x64 based PC
Office 365 Family

I recently purchased a new computer. I subscribe to Quicken and have used it forever. I downloaded from Quicken, installed on C and used my most recent backup from my external hard drive
The file path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
I have gone to OneDrive and unlinked my account

Having done all this, my backup files are still on OneDrive (I don't know how they got there since they are on my external drive) and my calendar no longer shows recorded transactions, even tho the selection is check in calendar options.

Help

Comments

• Paul Nibur
    Paul Nibur Member ✭✭✭
    > @Paul Nibur said:
    > System: Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.19041 Build 19041, x64 based PC
    > Office 365 Family
    >
    > I recently purchased a new computer. I subscribe to Quicken and have used it forever. I downloaded from Quicken, installed on C and used my most recent backup from my external hard drive
    > The file path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    > I have gone to OneDrive and unlinked my account
    >
    > Having done all this, my backup files are still on OneDrive (I don't know how they got there since they are on my external drive) and my calendar no longer shows recorded transactions, even tho the selection is check in calendar options.
    >
    > Help
    >

I should have added that this is Quicken Deluxe. I want to avoid OneDrive altogether. I back up my files both locally and on Drop Box. Is there a way to reinstall (if necessary) and make sure that everything stays on my machine and does not migrate to OneDrive? Is it necessary to purchase Office as a program and unsubscribe from Office 365?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't use OneDrive, have you tried just uninstalling it? Otherwise, use a local folder for your Quicken data file that's not a OneDrive folder.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Paul Nibur" ,

See this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

If originally, the Manual Backup was restored from a Manual Backup file that was located on One Drive and it is the first time that you restored the Backup file, the default location the program picks to restore to, is where the Backup is located at. (Through experience.)

You need to browse to the folder that you want to restore to.
    Ex; F:\Documents\Quicken 2020 Data\Paul.QDF

"

Is it necessary to purchase Office as a program and unsubscribe from Office 365? "
    That's up to you. That is not necessary to run Quicken, with or without Office installed.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think OneDrive is your problem.   The calendar is a "sub function"  in your data file. As in first Quicken is going to open and lock that data file.  OneDrive will respect that lock and not interfere with it.  The problems that come up from keeping a Quicken data file in a cloud folder like OneDrive or Dropbox come up when Quicken releases the lock and then wants it back again right away.  This happens during operations like it doing a backup or validate and repair.  Quicken release the lock, OneDrive or Dropbox, ... jump in and grab the lock and then Quicken can't do get the lock and do what it wants.   It doesn't happen just because you are in the calendar.  You not being able to add transactions to the calendar is some other kind of problem.

You say that your backup files are on OneDrive.  How are you determining that?
    By looking at the website?  Just because they somehow got synced there doesn't mean that they aren't on your external drive and in fact there isn't any problem at all having the backups on OneDrive.  It is having the "active" data file that Quicken is opening to work with that shouldn't be any in "cloud folder".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Paul Nibur
    Paul Nibur Member ✭✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > If you don't use OneDrive, have you tried just uninstalling it? Otherwise, use a local folder for your Quicken data file that's not a OneDrive folder.

Greg - I would if I could. I've searched microsoft community posts, and the bottom line is that OneDrive cannot be uninstalled. I've done the best I can by unlinking it from Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > If you don't use OneDrive, have you tried just uninstalling it? Otherwise, use a local folder for your Quicken data file that's not a OneDrive folder.

Greg - I would if I could. I've searched microsoft community posts, and the bottom line is that OneDrive cannot be uninstalled. I've done the best I can by unlinking it from Quicken.
    That isn't correct.

If you don't see it here, then it is already uninstalled.
    Signature:
  • Paul Nibur
    Paul Nibur Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the follow up. I'm going crazy with this, and conflicting advice and posts. I've seen everything from the need to go into the registry and change a value, to something as simple as you say. What I do know is that I've created file paths for Quicken that do not include OneDrive, but when I open quicken the file path includes one drive. I will solve this or it will drive me nuts.
  • Paul Nibur
    Paul Nibur Member ✭✭✭
    I would also add that OneDrive does not appear in my list of applications, yet files are regularly syncing to it.
  • Paul Nibur
    Paul Nibur Member ✭✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @""Paul Nibur" ,
    >
    > See this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions
    >
    > If originally, the Manual Backup was restored from a Manual Backup file that was located on One Drive and it is the first time that you restored the Backup file, the default location the program picks to restore to, is where the Backup is located at. (Through experience.)
    >
    > You need to browse to the folder that you want to restore to.
    > Ex; F:\Documents\Quicken 2020 Data\Paul.QDF
    >
    > "
    > Is it necessary to purchase Office as a program and unsubscribe from Office 365? "
    > That's up to you. That is not necessary to run Quicken, with or without Office installed.

Hey "Creator"
    Your link is pretty darn thorough - thank you very much. That just may do it for me later today when I have time to do it. As far as the Office question, that is because I use office, and I'm just wondering if I purchased a stand alone copy if it perhaps would not include OneDrive. It would be worth the money to avoid the aggravation.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Paul Nibur" ,

If you can stand using an old copy / New of Microsoft Office 2007 Professional, look on eBay   https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xoffice+2007.TRS0&_nkw=office+2007+professional&_sacat=0
    and search office 2007 Professional.

As long as you would files and folders in One Drive, it can be uninstalled. In other words, move files and folders from One Drive, before uninstalling One Drive.

It is also listed in Programs and Features as Microsoft OneDrive.

If you have Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft OneDrive may not be uninstallable. You may need to uninstall Microsoft OneDrive, by going the Custom method.

And thank you for your comments. Don't forget to uninstall iSeek English RunTime, also.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Paul Nibur
    Paul Nibur Member ✭✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @""Paul Nibur" ,
    >
    > If you can stand using an old copy / New of Microsoft Office 2007 Professional, look on eBay   https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xoffice+2007.TRS0&_nkw=office+2007+professional&_sacat=0
    > and search office 2007 Professional.
    >
    > As long as you would files and folders in One Drive, it can be uninstalled. In other words, move files and folders from One Drive, before uninstalling One Drive.
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It is also listed in Programs and Features as Microsoft OneDrive.
    >
    > If you have Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft OneDrive may not be uninstallable. You may need to uninstall Microsoft OneDrive, by going the Custom method.
    >
    > And thank you for your comments. Don't forget to uninstall iSeek English RunTime, also.

Thank you my friend – good advice is hard to find!!!
    I’ll email you a follow up after I’m done.

But as long as you are helping, just let me ask this:
    1. The proper place to install Quicken is on C drive under programs(x86)
    2. What is the best place to keep the file I work with every day? I have a solid state drive for programs, but the recommendations are to keep documents etc on D drive (the large conventional drive. Is that what you recommend (it is probably all in the link you gave me)
    Thanks very much once again. I’ve been using Quicken since the early DOS days, and every so often some quirk comes up that takes a while to figure out.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sort of curious why you prefer not to use OneDrive, why?

I'm in fact using OneDrive because I also use Office 365 and it give me a Terabyte of space per user for up to 5 users.

Keeping Quicken's "running" data file off of OneDrive, is of course another issue altogether.

As long as it isn't in a OneDrive folder you are good to go.  It can be on any drive on your machine (local not a network drive for the same kind of reasons).  I only have one 512GB SSD so my data file of course goes on that, at C:\Quicken.  The backup files on the other hand can be in any folder/drive/network drive.
    Signature:
  • Paul Nibur
    Paul Nibur Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I'm sort of curious why you prefer not to use OneDrive, why?
    >
    > I'm in fact using OneDrive because I also use Office 365 and it give me a Terabyte of space per user for up to 5 users.
    >
    > Keeping Quicken's "running" data file off of OneDrive, is of course another issue altogether.
    >
    > As long as it isn't in a OneDrive folder you are good to go.  It can be on any drive on your machine (local not a network drive for the same kind of reasons).  I only have one 512GB SSD so my data file of course goes on that, at C:\Quicken.  The backup files on the other hand can be in any folder/drive/network drive.

To be brief, I'd like to do exactly what you are doing, but for whatever reason, it's not working. I want to be in charge of where stuff is, but it seems that OneDrive has it's own priorities, such as creating file paths to everything that goes thru OneDrive even tho I set it up otherwise. Additionally is the issue that I live where high speed internet is not available, so having files always going to OneDrive and back bogs down my work. I just wish OneDrive was programmed in such a way that would make it easier and obvious for user control.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, given that you don't have high speed Internet I would say to avoid OneDrive.  It isn't especially efficient on how it does its syncing.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.