Transfers from one account to another with split transactions

If I make a transfer from savings to checking using split transactions (i.e. Savings-Total transaction of $200. but split in two categories such as Utilities electric $100 and Utilities garbage $100, it shows as one line of $200 and 2 transfers in the transfer column. The problem is in checking it splits it into separate line transactions of $100 dollars for each. This will not match when reconciling. I've tried all settings but cannot seem to get it to get it to work. Whatever your transferring from combines in one line and the transfer to split into separate lines.

Checking -Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field doesn't do anything
Unchecking or checking -Automatically show splits in register doesn't seem to make a difference either way

Comments

• dket
    dket Member ✭✭
    Sorry. I am using Quicken for Mac 2020 and have the latest update
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @dket,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken. 

If you have not already, I suggest taking a look at the information outlined in this Support Article for more details regarding "transfers" in Quicken for Mac.

Please let us know if this helps to resolve this matter for you!

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this will work in QMac ... but my mortgage payment (recorded in my checking account) has 2 split lines that BOTH go to my Escrow account.
    But, because they have different Tags ... they show up in the Escrow as 2 transactions.
    BTW, there's 2 because one is for my Home Insurance and the other for Real Estate taxes ... and I want to be able to track them separately in the Escrow account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having difficulty understanding what you are trying to be do. A transfer from savings to checking is just that – a transfer. It should not have an expense category such as utilities associated with it. You are likely paying your bills from checking and that transaction is where the expense categories should be reflected. Your payment from checking would be split into two categories, but the overall payment would be $200, which you would be able to reconcile against your bank statement.

If I'm misunderstanding the issue I apologize.
This discussion has been closed.