Incorrect Portfolio Gain/Loss Values

Options
For my TSP (401K) funds, I manually update the fund prices for the last day of the quarter (e.g., 3/31/20, 6/30/20) from my quarterly fund statement . When I viewed Portfolio/Recent Performance as of 6/30/20, I was surprised to see several of the funds had negative gain/loss for the quarter (when all prices had actually increased from the 3/31 values). When I change the “As of” date to 7/1/20, the gain/loss values are now correct. When I go back to “As of” 6/30/20, the results are incorrect again.

With the following exception, the Edit Price History shows no other price data for these funds other than the end-of-quarter values I have manually input. Last month, I did actually add prices for each fund for 6/16/20 (again, values much higher than those on 3/31/20). Whether I delete or leave those 6/16/20 values, the Portfolio Gain/Loss values as of 6/30/20 are incorrect (then correct as of 7/1/20).

Any ideas as to what might be going on? (Windows 10, Quicken Premier Subscription, Ver R27.28)

Best Answers

• dschmidt2010
    dschmidt2010 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank-you, q_lurker. My underlying numbers verify what you say regarding a 'true' 3-month period for the 3-Month Gain/Loss column. For security prices that are only updated on the last day of the calendar quarter, the 3-month period 'as of' 06/30/YY is the only problematic period. For my purposes, I can simply run my reports 'as of' the first day of the quarter to avoid future confusion. Again, thanks very much.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What you've left out here is information about whether the "Market Value" shown at 6/30/20 when looking at Portfolio/Recent Performance is correct or not.  If the actual security prices at 6/30/20 in the Price History are correct, I'd think the Market Value would be correct unless there's some sort of timing difference as to number of shares, e.g., a 6/30 Buy or ReinvDiv transactions that's slipped across to 7/1.  And of course the Market Value is a combination of shares x per share price and cost basis, so the problem could be on the cost side. 
    Absent some sort of data corruption issue if seems like a close look at month end/beginning of next month transactions should tease out the problem.
  • dschmidt2010
    dschmidt2010 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response, Tom. All "Market Value" numbers are correct. As you suggested, I took a closer look at things. I haven’t resolved my issue, but I can define it better as follows: the “Gain/Loss 3-Month” calculation displays incorrectly for June 30th of any year.

I created a fake security and manually input quotes via the “Edit Price History” for the last day of each quarter (03/31/YY, 06/30/YY, 09/30/YY and 12/31/YY) for a two-year period. This is how I update the security prices in my TSP 401K account based on my quarterly statements.

Then I ran the Investing/Portfolio/Recent Performance screen for the last day of one quarter and then again for first day of the next quarter, e.g., 03/31/20 and 04/01/20. Based on the price histories entered, I would expect the Gain/Loss 3-Month values would be the same for those two dates. Remember, there are no transactions for the securities, only the price updates I input. The values for the two dates each quarter do match, with the exception of the values for 06/30/YY and 07/01/YY (I verified this for 2019 and 2020). I those cases, the Gain/Loss 3-Month value for 06/30/YY is wrong, and the 07/01/YY is correct.

I can consistently reproduce this apparent error. I can provide more details, but I think I’ve explained it clearly. Is there something I am missing or are you able to reproduce my issue? Thanks very much!
  • dschmidt2010
    dschmidt2010 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank-you, q_lurker. My underlying numbers verify what you say regarding a 'true' 3-month period for the 3-Month Gain/Loss column. For security prices that are only updated on the last day of the calendar quarter, the 3-month period 'as of' 06/30/YY is the only problematic period. For my purposes, I can simply run my reports 'as of' the first day of the quarter to avoid future confusion. Again, thanks very much.
This discussion has been closed.