Downloaded paycheck matched incorrectly

I cannot figure out what actually happened so not sure how to explain but hoping someone can help me fix my issue even if don't know what happened.
I downloaded my information as usual using direct connect. I was accepting transactions as usual. I had 2 paychecks set up already as reminders that haven't changed in a long time and I just edit them as needed when entering for minor differences in withholding. I did that for the 2 paychecks that were downloaded and it appeared to match them but then I noticed that there was only one that appeared matched in the register and the other didn't show up. When I clicked on the accepted transaction in the downloads it shows it was matched to a check of an entirely different amount and it was a check!
Turns out as I further investigate this I am finding other transactions that were previously entered are missing. Appears I did an update in quicken and may have lost some information. I think I can recreate everything and hopefully going forward it will work. Only problem is I don't know how to enter the paycheck as a paycheck by itself. I have the bill and income reminder but the paycheck showing there is for the next one. Can I edit that and make the date earlier? Or can I just add a one time paycheck?
Anyone else have this issue? I'm a little worried about looking in my other accounts now. Who knows what's missing?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @karen m,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your recent downloads.

To get to the point - you asked "Only problem is I don't know how to enter the paycheck as a paycheck by itself. I have the bill and income reminder but the paycheck showing there is for the next one."

The answer is - you can use that "bill and income reminder" that is actually for the next paycheck by following these steps:

1) From the "Home Screen" - Single-Click on the next payroll transaction;
    2) In the far right "Action" column - Click on "Edit" and then on "Edit this instance and all future instances";
    3) In the pop-up window, change the "Due next on:" date to the date of that last payroll transaction which was "mismatched", then Click "Done".

You should now see that the date of what was a "next" transaction has now been moved to match the date of the one that was mismatched.  This should not affect the other future transactions in the series.

With respect to the other transactions that seem to be missing, you obviously should follow-up on those.  If there are a number of them and you believe that you could not have caused them inadvertently, you should probably go through a "file validation process" to make sure your file is not corrupted.  Here's a link to that process https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Hope this helps.  If you have any followup questions - feel free to reply.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    My wife sometimes gets bonus paychecks along with her normal paycheck, which of course don't have a reminder for so that is similar to what you are facing.

Note I have the reminders showing in the register, but you could also do this from the Bill And Income Reminder dialog (Ctrl+J)

What I do is select the status icon for the reminder (Upcoming) and select Edit this instance and all future instances.  And then change the date for the paycheck to the date of the missing paycheck.  This will get you another reminder on that date, and the scheduled reminders will still continue correctly on your next payday.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Another way to so this is right click on a paycheck, and select to copy it, then go to the blank transaction entry and right click and select paste.  Be sure to change the date on the paycheck before entering it into the register.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you all, easy enough to just edit this and all future instances. I have done that before I believe but of course it messes up my schedule as its been a few days later that this happened and you can't date it earlier than today, but that's no big deal. I like the idea of copy and pasting. Hadn't tried that before and may be simpler. You would think quicken would have an easy way to create one time paychecks? It is a simple thing and common too. Weird. Anyway, at least this account it finally reconciled. I had to go add a few other random transactions that "disappeared" as well. Between quicken updates and windows updates I'm about to pull out my hair. Non stop trouble shooting and I am NOT a tech person. ugh. but thanks again for your help.
  • karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭✭
    ok, I guess I need to get to the bottom of this. It happened again. I was accepting downloaded transactions. When it came to my paycheck I had to edit it which isn't unusual, so I edited the reminder in the register to match the downloaded transaction. I hit done or save or whatever it is and it promptly disappeared! Not only from my register but also from my downloaded window and the "show accepted" button is greyed out as if there aren't any that were already accepted although I already did one paycheck. Any ideas? I've searched the register for the amount it should have been and nothing comes up.
  • karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭✭
    OK, well, I still don't know what happened. I am thinking it is something to do with trying to use a reminder that was dated later and move it to earlier. For some reason that just didn't work. I really don't know where they were ending up though. I just finally figured out it would be easiest to delete that reminder and add a new income reminder. Hopefully that will be the end of that.
  • karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭✭
    My paycheck continues to get mismatched and it happens with both paychecks from different companies. As soon as I accept the paycheck, it seems to "disappear" and I don't see it in the register though it still shows as downloaded in the downloaded transactions window and is marked accepted. When I select it, it will seem to be matched to some random transaction in the register. I am going to start a new thread on this to see if anyone else has this issue.
This discussion has been closed.