Correcting transactions from report (Q Mac)

neilglassman
neilglassman Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Reports (Mac)
Sometimes, when viewing a report, I find a transaction that needs correction or modification. The update that now opens reports in a new window has made that workflow much more complicated. The Quicken Help Desk tells me the new, more cumbersome workflow is the way it's supposed to be.

Previously:
1. Find incorrect transaction in report
2. Double click to open register
3. Make correction
3. Close register
4. Land back at register which has refreshed in the background

Now:
2. Select the register in which the transaction occurs
3. Search for the register for the transaction
4. Make correction
5. Return to report
6. Close and reopen the report, because it does not refresh in the background

The Help Desk informed me that the old way caused problems for many users. I guess I was lucky that I was never bitten by those problems.

If the old workflow is not feasible, would be make sense for Quicken to at least have a keyboard shortcut to refresh the report without having to close and reopen it? Or am I being a jerk?

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @neilglassman,

No, that's not being a jerk, asking for a shortcut to replace the prior workflow is reasonable.

BTW - the old workflow still works in Quicken for Windows, so it must be something unique to Mac.

Take care.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In my testing just now, if I double click a transaction in a report that is open in its own window, the register corresponding to that transaction opens in another window with the subject transaction selected. If I modify that transaction, the line in the original report updates without re-opening it. I then close the register window with Command-W. So basically the same process as before.

If this is not what you are seeing, you may have found a bug that's affecting you, but for some reason, not me.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @neilglassman  In most reports, you can simply double-click on a transaction to jump to it in the register. So in the workflow you stated, making this change:

Now: 
    2. Select the register in which the transaction occurs
    3. Search for the register for the transaction
    NEW: Double-click on the transaction; it will open the appropriate account register and highlight the transaction to be ready for editing.
    4. Make correction
    5. Return to report
    6. Close and reopen the report, because it does not refresh in the background

I'm not sure what report you are using, but any report using the new reports engine does update in real-time when you make any changes. It will refresh completely, so you may need to scroll to get back to where you were in the report, so that's a little annoying -- but I haven't seen where reports don't update. Only the few remaining "old" reports don't update. Are you using the old Category Summary report? If so, I suggest you stop using that report (which will likely soon be removed from the program entirely), because the new reports that have replaced it are more configurable for on-screen viewing and printing.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • neilglassman
    neilglassman Member ✭✭
    @RickO Thanks for checking it out. What you were seeing is what I was used to prior to Version 5.17. At this time, not only am I not seeing what you are seeing, but the Help Desk person on chat informed me that what I was seeing was correct and intentional to avoid issues that many other users (not me) were seeing previously. They also informed me that, as Quicken was not crashing and my data was not corrupted, that I could not file a bug report.

FWIW, I am on Version 5.17.3 (Build 517.34913.100) Mac OS 10.15.5
  • neilglassman
    neilglassman Member ✭✭
    @jacobs Thanks for your advice. What you report as the workflow was what I was used to before the reports started opening in new windows. I will recreate the report from scratch to see if that doesn't fix the issue. Again, as I replied above, the Help Desk person on chat informed me that what I was seeing was correct. Perhaps that is not correct and there is some other factor I'm missing.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @neilglassman I think what the Quicken Support rep was telling you is why they made reports open in a separate window, which is a recent change.

So what part of what I'm saying above is not what you're seeing? If you create/open a report, and you double-click n eat transaction you want to edit, does it not open a window for the account register and highlight that transaction so you can edit it?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • neilglassman
    neilglassman Member ✭✭
    @jacobs What I am not seeing is the report refreshing after the transaction is edited in the register. The register window does open after double-clicking in the report and the edit is saved. Refreshing, though, only takes place after closing the report and reopening it.

I am sorry I did not save the chat, but the rep was pretty clear to me that the procedure you describe above was no longer functional. I will try to reconstruct the report from scratch later tonight to see if that sets things for me the way you see it and the way it formerly functioned for me. Thanks again!
  • neilglassman
    neilglassman Member ✭✭
    @jacobs You nailed it! The report I was using was "old-style." I recreated the report from scratch and the problem is solved. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.