Repeatedly have to link Capital One accounts to Quicken

Options
Long story short, I deactivated and reactivated my Capital One accounts (because I was getting CC-800 errors), and now I have to enter my username and password to "link my Capital One® account(s) to Quicken" every time I run One Step Update. How can I fix it so that it just uses my password from the vault like it did before?

Windows 10, Quicken R28.10 Build 27.1.28.10

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    FDS is the traditional channel used with EWC connections in QWin:   Quicken App-->Aggregator-->Financial Institution-->Aggregator-->Quicken App.
    QCS is a different channel traditionally used with QMac in which the Quicken server is somehow/somewhere inserted into this flow loop.
    Quicken has been working to switch QWin over to QCS (I understand there are a number of benefits for doing this and that QMac users are fairly happy with it).  A few weeks ago QCS was pushed to a limited number of QWin users as part of their QCS rollout plan.  However, there have been some hiccups reported by some users (myself included).  Your CC-800 error and needing to repeatedly reenter login info with some EWC Financial Institutions is one of those reported problems.
    What you might want to try is to change your channel back to FDS (use the same process to find out what your channel is).  When you next run OSU you might need to provide your online account login information again but should not need to, again, after that.  With me, my EWS connection issues with QCS went away when I switched back to FDS.  However, you should note a couple of things:
    1. Currently some people (including myself) on FDS are experiencing OL--1-B error code issues with each Quicken session the first time they run OSU.  This affects only EWC accounts (sometimes only some them, sometimes times all of them and sometimes none of them).  But when that happens run OSU, again, and the problem typically goes away so it more of a nuisance than a big issue. (The Quicken team is working on a fix for this problem.)
    2. At some point in the future (I don't know when), all QWin users will be migrated to QCS so your moving back to FDS is only a temporary solution but hopefully by the time you get migrated back to QCS the EWS connection issues will be fully resolved.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2020
    Options
    [Removed Steps]

• Kent Fiala
    Kent Fiala Member ✭✭
    Options
    It says QCS, whatever that means.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    FDS is the traditional channel used with EWC connections in QWin:   Quicken App-->Aggregator-->Financial Institution-->Aggregator-->Quicken App.
    QCS is a different channel traditionally used with QMac in which the Quicken server is somehow/somewhere inserted into this flow loop.
    Quicken has been working to switch QWin over to QCS (I understand there are a number of benefits for doing this and that QMac users are fairly happy with it).  A few weeks ago QCS was pushed to a limited number of QWin users as part of their QCS rollout plan.  However, there have been some hiccups reported by some users (myself included).  Your CC-800 error and needing to repeatedly reenter login info with some EWC Financial Institutions is one of those reported problems.
    What you might want to try is to change your channel back to FDS (use the same process to find out what your channel is).  When you next run OSU you might need to provide your online account login information again but should not need to, again, after that.  With me, my EWS connection issues with QCS went away when I switched back to FDS.  However, you should note a couple of things:
    1. Currently some people (including myself) on FDS are experiencing OL--1-B error code issues with each Quicken session the first time they run OSU.  This affects only EWC accounts (sometimes only some them, sometimes times all of them and sometimes none of them).  But when that happens run OSU, again, and the problem typically goes away so it more of a nuisance than a big issue. (The Quicken team is working on a fix for this problem.)
    2. At some point in the future (I don't know when), all QWin users will be migrated to QCS so your moving back to FDS is only a temporary solution but hopefully by the time you get migrated back to QCS the EWS connection issues will be fully resolved.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Capital One has its own unique connection method called EWC+. I don't know whether the FDS/QCS stuff applies. The password doesn't live in the vault.
    Based on the info shown below, I would try to add the account rather than reactivate it. See if you can re-link the account via Tools > Add Account. Hopefully the process will work despite the typos in the text. :neutral:

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Kent Fiala
    Kent Fiala Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks! Switching the channel back to FDS seems to have solved the problem. So far so good anyway. At the time of switching I did get one incomprehensible message "When your customer ID changes, Quicken must remove the password for this account from the Password Vault. To authorize this, click OK and then enter your Vault password. You may add the password for this account back to your Password Vault at any time." I clicked OK, entered my Vault Password, continued with Capital One linking one more time, and then things seem to be working as desired.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Thanks! Switching the channel back to FDS seems to have solved the problem. So far so good anyway. At the time of switching I did get one incomprehensible message "When your customer ID changes, Quicken must remove the password for this account from the Password Vault. To authorize this, click OK and then enter your Vault password. You may add the password for this account back to your Password Vault at any time." I clicked OK, entered my Vault Password, continued with Capital One linking one more time, and then things seem to be working as desired.
    I'm glad it worked for you.  BTW, I've been informed that we should not be switching back and forth between FDS and QCS as it's causing some issues for the Quicken Development team in their working to resolve various connection issues.  So, please stick with FDS and do not change back to QCS.
    Also, an Alert has been posted for the OL--1-B issue I'd mentioned is sometimes being experienced with FDS:  NEW 8/11/20: EWC connected accounts returning an OL-1-B error.  If you want to be kept updated on this issue, bookmark that Alert by clicking on the star to the right of the Alert title.  Also, if you do experience getting this issue, there is a link in the Alert to test out a potential fix if you are interested in doing that.

This discussion has been closed.