How to create second payment reminder for checkpay payee?

Options
I paid my property taxes via checkpay. When attempting to create a manual bill reminder for the next payment, choosing "allow paying with checkpay" results in this message "This payee/account number combination is already in use". How can I setup a checkpay payment for an existing payee?

Comments

• Quicken_Julio
    Quicken_Julio Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta mod
    Options
    Hi @mrusso,

Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

I would like to gather some more information to better assist you:

When click the arrow next to the Check Pay, do you have the option to "Edit this instance and all future instances"? If so, you should be able to make the existing reminder a recurring one.

Are you trying to establish this bill as a future-dated Check Pay payment? If that is the case, this Article will provide more details on how to accomplish setting up a future-dated payment.

Responding with this additional information will give us better insight with the issue and the next steps to take. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Best,
    JV
  • mrusso
    mrusso Member ✭✭
    Options
    Setting it as a recurring payment doesn't work for my use case. My property tax bill lays out 4 quarterly payments to be made, each with a different amount.

A future-dated check is limited to a 45-day window, and what I aim to do is schedule the year's worth of payments. I was able to do that with older payment service.

When I was fiddling with this a few weeks back, I clicked the down-arrow next to the Check Pay button and chose "convert to payee". I am wondering if that is the source of my problem. Unfortunately, Quicken does not offer management of Check Pay payees in the way that it does for Bill Pay or manual payees. There is not list from which I can choose "use" and arrange a Check Pay payment. In the Bills & Income window, I can list the bills by biller name and see the upcoming reminder. But it doesn't offer a way to schedule the quarterly payments.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm not sure I fully understand what your trying to do or what effect Convert to Payee may have had, but have you tried setting up future reminders from the recent payment in you payment account register.  You should be able to highlight the transaction and then Edit, Transaction, Add Reminder and set up one or more reminders that use the payee.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

• mrusso
    mrusso Member ✭✭
    Options
    The 45-day limit applies when payments are entered via the register too.

Attempting to add the reminder from a transaction in the register takes me to the same UI workflow that I reach from the Bills & Income view.

This used to work under Bill Pay; disappointing that they broke it. I guess I will do the scheduling via my bank's website instead.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @mrusso

Thank you for the response and further clarification on the issue you are experiencing.

To work around the 45-day limit would be to create a manual reminder and then choose to make the payment with Check Pay closer to the payment date.

However, it sounds as though you have come up with a solution, I wanted to clarify further what would need to be done to move forward with Quicken Bill Manager.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mrusso said:
    The 45-day limit applies when payments are entered via the register too.
    This used to work under Bill Pay; disappointing that they broke it. I guess I will do the scheduling via my bank's website instead.
    If your bank has an online bill payment feature, you might check to see if you can connect with Quicken and pay your bills that way.
    Check to see if your bank is listed as Direct Connect - and if Bill Payment is avail.
    I happen to use Chase - setup all my bills via Reminders, and just pay them...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.