"Market Value" problem in a brokerage account.

PutterFlutters
PutterFlutters Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in Investing (Mac)
  • I 'm currently trying to restore a Quicken backup file.
  • I use Fidelity for my investment accounts.
  • I have two "Brokerage" Accounts;  Standard and an IRA.
  • Looking at the IRA's portfolio view Cash/Market Value it is correctly displaying the amount of cash in that account. (Money Market account).
  • Looking at the Standard portfolio view/ Cash Market Value it is incorrectly displaying the amount of cash in that account by over half a million dollars in the red.
  • I haven't a clue how to get started fixing that problem.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @PutterFlutters,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

If you are still needing assistance with this, would you mind posting back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're using? You can find this under Quicken>About Quicken.

Also, to further clarify, were you able to successfully restore a backup file? If so, did the problem persist in the restored file?

If you were unable to do so, please see this Support Article for steps to restore your Quicken data from a backup file.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    For starters, I would switch from the Portfolio view to the Transaction view. Look at the running balance, and note that.

Then, look at the very beginning of the register, and look to see if you you have "placeholder' adjustment transactions that may/may not be added for positions held/cash balance. Do you see a cash one that appears unusual?

That is the first two places I would look. Report back.

Thanks!
  • PutterFlutters
    Hi, Natalie,
    Thanks for the help.

Problem still there at the moment but wanted to a get replies out.

Version and release of Quicken: Version 5.17.3 (Build 517.34913.100)

As for the restore.  I have attempted a restore and so far so good.  Waiting for a few more statements to reconcile just to make sure there.  Still no change on Market value problem.

Will be reading "How to Backup or Restore Your Quicken Data" as soon as I answer John_in_NC.

Thanks again,
    Norm
  • PutterFlutters
    For starters, I would switch from the Portfolio view to the Transaction view. Look at the running balance, and note that.

Then, look at the very beginning of the register, and look to see if you you have "placeholder' adjustment transactions that may/may not be added for positions held/cash balance. Do you see a cash one that appears unusual?

Thanks!
    Hi John,  Thanks for jumpin in.  :-)
    After switching to portfolio view and checking for an adjustment  the only adjustment is a 8/06/20  "Reconcile Adjustment".  That is the TOP of all transactions and mostly likey the day I started the restore.  Transaction view enteries start 4/09/13.

The adustment reads:
    08/06/20 Payment/Deposit Reconcile adjustment.  Adjustment  
  • PutterFlutters

Thanks!
    Hi John,  Thanks for jumpin in.  :-)
    After switching to portfolio view and checking for an adjustment  the only adjustment is a 8/06/20  "Reconcile Adjustment".  That is the TOP of all transactions and mostly likey the day I started the restore.  Transaction view enteries start 4/09/13.

The adustment reads:
    08/06/20 Payment/Deposit Reconcile adjustment.  Adjustment  
  • PutterFlutters
    Uh oh... I just realized I hadn't checked for "placeholder' adjustment transactions" in the IRA because the cash was spot on. There was an adjustment in the IRA also.  A bit differnt in that the 

IRA's adjustment was:
    5/12/20 Payment/Deposit   Live Opening Balance  Adjustment.

Bokerage Adjustment:
     8/06/20  "Reconcile adjustment"    

What I am getting at is that the two adjustments are different  Security/Payee types.

And the dates are WAY different

It appears the Live Opening Balance Adjustment worked  and the Reconcile adjustment didn't and maybe if there was an accurate Opening Balance Adjustment  I wouldn't have my problem.  ???? who knows.....        Just thinking out loud....

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Thanks for the updates, Norm.

Before we go further, understand that Placeholders/Live Opening Balances (for cash) get created at the very beginning of the register. They should be a light gray versus black transaction. In your one account's case, you would see them dated 4/9/2013.

A placeholder isn't necessarily a problem, and they exist for valid reasons. So, seeing them isn't indicative of a problem. I would investigate more what the reconcile adjustment from 8/6/20 is. Did you reconcile the account (like you would a cash account) and allow it to enter an adjustment? Or, you can also create a similar transaction via Accounts:Adjust Balance to create an adjustment. Do either of those scenarios sound familiar? Something sounds amiss with that 8/6 (and possibly 5/12) transaction as it isn't a placeholder.

You didn't mention if your running balance (in transaction view)  is also very far in the negative range to match what the Portfolio view is displaying. You really need to examine your running balance of the account and see how that compares to the real world.

Keep looking-you will figure this out.

• PutterFlutters
    Hi John, Thanks for the support.  I wanted to keep you up to date on my "adventure". I've decided to refrain from trying to put Humpty Dumpty together again.  I have started a new file from scratch and so far it has taken much less time to get up and running than I had already spent unsuccesfully trying to "fix things".
    It has only been a few days I know ... but since my world has gotten a lot simpler I've noticed I don't really need the level of detail that I used to get with quicken.
    Thank you again for your time and efforts.  It is really appreciated. 
    Norm
This discussion has been closed.