How to activate Bill Pay with Quicken Premier 2020 for Mac

With Quicken Premier 2020 for Mac --None of the explanations for activating Bill Pay make any sense to me. My bank -- Chase -- appears to support it. I used to be able to simply type SEND in Check # column when paying previously entered vendors and bill would be paid on date I selected or 5-7 days in future. This was really handy and I miss it.

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @FranSneds,

From your post, it sounds like you have been paying your bills through your Chase bank account - i.e. you weren't using the Quicken Bill Pay program.  If this is correct, you will not be affected by the ending of the Quicken Bill Pay program, nor will you need to set up the new Bill Manager program.  Certain banks - like Chase, PNC, BOA, and many others, allow you to make payments to vendors, and other payees, by entering the "checks" in your bank account register, after setting up the payees in Quicken's "Online Payee List".

If I am wrong about the process you've been using, or if you have any followups, let me know.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• FranSneds
    FranSneds Member
    still don't know what to type into check # column in order to pay vendor virtually.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @FranSneds

Thank you for the response although I apologize that you are still unable to pay bills.

May I ask that you navigate to the Chase account and select "Settings" in the bottom right-hand corner.

Please navigate to the "Bill Pay" tab is "Bank Bill Pay" enabled?

If so, it would appear that bill pay is enabled and typing "Send" in the check column should initiate a bill pay transaction.

Do you receive any type of error message when attempting to do this?

Please let us know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • FranSneds
    FranSneds Member
    I don't see that "Bank Bill Pay" is enabled. So when I type SEND in check # column I get error message to the effect that this account is not enabled for sending Bill payment. I used to be able to do this but can no longer do so.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @FranSneds

Thank you for the response and confirming that Direct Connect Bill Pay is inactive.

Can you please navigate to the same settings menu and choose "Downloads" and confirm the connection method being used?

Do you see Quicken Connect or Direct Connect? If Quicken Connect please choose "Change Connection Type" select Options and choose Direct Connect.

Then follow the login prompts to enable Direct Connect, this is required to send payments.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • FranSneds
    FranSneds Member
    In Settings -- Connection Type is (and long has been) Direct Connect.
    Also, FYI, Bill Pay: Not Available. Intra-bank Funds Transfer: Available.
    However, I do note that while the Customer ID is correct, the account # is not my check account but rather one of the credit cards connected to that account. Is that the source of the problem I am encountering?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @FranSneds

Thank you for the response and additional information.

To answer your question yes, that could be the issue. As far as I know, credit cards are not supported for Bill Pay, and having the incorrect account linked will cause the credit card transaction to download into this checking account.

I would next go to the Credit Card account and confirm if the checking account is linked to that account. If so I would deactivate both of the accounts.

This is under Settings > Troubleshooting and Deactivate Downloads. 

To reactivate all of the accounts:
    1. Click on the plus sign next to the word accounts in blue, and choose Checking.

2. Search for Chase in the bank list
          3. Sign and link all of the accounts to the existing accounts in Quicken. 

Be sure to LINK and not ADD or you will receive duplicates. If you have other accounts with Chase besides these two, please ensure that they are listed as IGNORE as they are already connected.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • FranSneds
    FranSneds Member
    I went through all the steps you suggested several times and eventually got all the settings properly linked & connected. Had to quit and restart program a couple time. Now Bill Pay says it works but when I try to SEND a payment I get Error Message from Chase HTTP-403. It does not cure itself by Retrying.
    So I tried to quit. Now it says the transaction is WAITING to be sent.
    So I quit and restarted Quicken. Still WAITING. I quit Quicken again.
    Will restart Mac next.
  • FranSneds
    FranSneds Member
    Now Quicken says the payment is 'WAITING' even though according to the bank's online page says that the Bill Pay transaction cleared the bank 8/17 (yesterday). Error Message from bank is still Chase HTTP-403. How do I break this logjam?
This discussion has been closed.