Quicken Deluxe won't let me make payments into Sept 2020

Q Deluxe v28.10 with valid membership. Integrated with Wells Fargo bank setup for Online Bill Pay (prev Direct Connect?); this is not the membership fee-based service.

I have a number of bills scheduled (via Tools Online Center) through the end of August and realized today I cannot schedule any payments for Sept 1 or beyond. Searching Google, this seems to be because of the change in Bill Pay tools but I have not gotten any communications about this. Instructions to convert are vague. And WF basically told me to reset everything - and cancel my existing payments in order to "force an update." This is incomplete and unacceptable.

I'm turning to the community for assistance in how to address this, ensure continuity of service, and find any pertinent information to help me feel more comfortable that there is a pool of knowledgeable people out there.

Thanks for your help.

Best Answers

Answers

• Jason Soffer
    Jason Soffer Member ✭✭
    Clarification: My accounts are in fact setup as Direct Connect, and not Online Bill Pay
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jason Soffer,

Srry tht you are having bill payment issues.

From what you've said above, you should not be affected by the ending of Quicken Bill Pay and the start of the new Quicken Bill Manager.  Yet you seem to be having problems scheduling bill payments, which doesn't make sense.

So first off I want you to double check the last part of your clarification by opening up the Wells Fargo account you have been using to pay bills and

1) click on the gear icon in the upper right hand corner;
    2) select "Edit account details" > then "Online Services"
    3) what does it say in the lower box titled "Online Bill Payment"?

I suspect that it will say "Set Up Now...".  If it does, then something has happened to deactivate your bill payment capability from within Quicken.  To fix that, you'll need to click on the "Set Up Now" button and go through the setup process again.

Let me know how that goes, or if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jason Soffer
    Jason Soffer Member ✭✭
    I'll give you both.

Online Setup section. <Acct> is set up for transaction download. Financial Institution: Wells Fargo Bank. Connection Method: Direct Connect

Online bill payment section. <Acct> is set up for Online Bill Pay.
  • Jason Soffer
    Jason Soffer Member ✭✭
    * And all accounts are setup this way.

Thank you.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, that's a good sign.

Can you tell me what actually happens when you try to setup a September payment?  Do you get an error code?  Do you get to the point of sending the payment to the bank?

Also, have you been able to download any transactions from the bank recently?  If you haven't tried that - do so now and let me know what happens.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jason Soffer
    Jason Soffer Member ✭✭
    Sure. I go to Tools > Online Center and then click the Payments tab, select an Account and Payee and type the amt of payment. When I use the calendar picker or type in a date of, example, 9/2/2020 and then click the ENTER button, nothing happens. If I change the date to 8/31/2020 and then click the ENTER button, the transaction saves and goes to the list of transactions to send to the bank. Today is the first day that I tried to set a payment into September.

I have successfully one One Step Update and downloaded transactions today. When I do this, I receive no errors.

Thank you.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jason Soffer,

Are you also signed-up for the "Quicken Bill Pay" program that will expire on 8/31?  Even if you haven't been using that I am thinking that this could have something to do with this issue.

Also wondering whether one of the recent program releases might be causing it.

I haven't seen anyone else post on this particular issue when using an FI to make payments, either.  I really can't think of any other steps to take at this time, sorry.

My suggestion would be to contact Quicken Support - here's the link 

Frankx

• Jason Soffer
    Jason Soffer Member ✭✭
    @Frankx - I don't recall ever signing up for Quicken Bill Pay, let alone turning it on for all my accounts. I wonder if turning it off will negatively impact anything.

@Sherlock - I could do that but don't get the benefit of classifying the transactions, splits, etc.

Thanks
  • Jason Soffer
    Jason Soffer Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock - Do you have a link to the Quicken support issue about this? That would be helpful.
  • Jason Soffer
    Jason Soffer Member ✭✭
    @jrfaris - I'm not sure it's the same as the symptoms described are not exactly the same. Of note and FWIW, Wells has heard multiple instances of this and we had Quicken Support on the line but the Quicken rep was no help (and condescending to us).
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry.  As I understand it, you are set up to initiate payments using Direct Connect through Wells Fargo and having trouble doing so for any date after 8/31.  Here is a link discussing a similar problem with BofA by Direct Connect.  
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879191/online-payee-list-problem-with-use-function-fails-with-bank-of-america
    Again the symptoms are not identical but the discussion may be helpful. If you try to initiate the payment from the register as @Sherlock suggests, can you schedule into September?

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Jason Soffer
    Jason Soffer Member ✭✭
    @jrfaris - This is exactly my issue, but with Wells. I will try the suggestion. But I'm glad I'm not the only one.
  • Jason Soffer
    Jason Soffer Member ✭✭
    Just updated my software to the newest version and the issue is resolved for me
This discussion has been closed.