Converting Quicken 2001 deluxe running on windows 10 to new version.

Hello all I have a question. I am currently running quicken 2001 deluxe On a machine that was updated to windows 10. Now I want to purchase current quicken deluxe version and not sure if the .QDF file back up will be loaded into the new version. I have read that I would need to do intermediate conversion but I am currently on a Windows 10 platform and the 2004 and 2013 versions are not for windows 10 so I can not use this option. I do not use the online features, I use only for manual tracking and bank reconciliation. Any assistance is appreciated.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken 2004 and 2013 will run on Windows 10. I would suggest going to Quicken 2013 and staying there. It's the last version that doesn't require a Quicken ID.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

If your version is 2003 or earlier you will need to first convert to 2004.  Then convert to 2013.  Read that whole article on converting.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• docgold
    docgold Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @docgold ,
    >
    > (Image)
    Thank you for your replies. So a quick question did you install 2004 onto a existing windows 10 machine or did you just get the upgrade to an existing system running pre windows 10? Reason to the question I heard as a fresh install 2004 will not work. It must be installed on pre windows 10. Is this correct? I am still wondering since I am only using as manual system can I not just reinstall 2001 onto new version like 2018.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody in your family, circle of friends, neighbors, etc. have a Windows 7 SP 1 or 8.1 laptop that you can borrow?
    If so, use it to install the intermediate version of Quicken 2004 on it, restore a copy of your Q 2001 data file(s) to its \Documents\Quicken folder. Let Q 2004 convert the file. Review the results. Create a Backup of the converted file(s) on a USB stick.
    Download and install the free version of Q 2013 (link is in the conversion document) on your Windows 10 machine. Restore the Q 2004 file backup to your \Documents\Quicken folder (and not anywhere else). Again, after opening the restored file, review the results.
    Resume using Q 2013 on your Windows 10 system, making backups of your Quicken data files every single time you close Quicken.
    Clean up what you have added to the borrowed computer, especially any of the data files you created.
    And finally decide whether you want to remain on Q 2013 or fully upgrade to a registered copy of Quicken Subscription (2020+) Deluxe edition (NOT the Starter edition!)
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @docgold

Thank you for the additional details, although I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response.

The official documentation states: Quicken 2004 has been tested and will install and run on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 operating systems (32- or 64-bit for Quicken 2004) through the conversion processIt is not compatible with Windows 10.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

I hope this helps to answer your question.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.