Expense categories not visible in budget

Options
I was starting to create a new budget this week as I hadn't updated an old one in a long time.
When I created a budget there are no expense categories showing up in the main screen as shown below. I've made sure the categories are correctly showing as being selected.

I modified the categories to include income which show up for each category as the expenses should. I tried to validate and super-validate the file to make sure that now errors were present.

I spoke with support this morning and we were able to export my data and create an entire new file. Once this old data was imported, a budget could be created in the new and the expenses would show up properly. The problem with this approach is that all of my investments were lost along with 10+ years of the linked data. Not really a solution in my opinion.

Any thoughts of what to try next would be appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• shhern80
    shhern80 Member ✭✭
    Options
    The picture didn't attach...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I do think attaching the image may help.   To attach the image, drag and drop the image file onto the editable text box.
  • shhern80
    shhern80 Member ✭✭
    Options
    We'll see if this works then.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please provide the version of Quicken and the edition being used: select Help > About Quicken

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • shhern80
    shhern80 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Deluxe 2020, R28.18 on Windows 10. I looked at that post along with some others but to no avail. I'm sure it is probably something simple that I'm not seeing.

Oddly enough when i run a report: Planning - Report - Current Budget, I can see all of my categories that are selected along with the default budget values that Quicken placed and transactions against those categories. It's only in the screen shot from the post above where I have the issue. This is of course the place where you can edit the various amount for each category.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a fix per se, but changing graph view to annual also allows for changes.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• shhern80
    shhern80 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation but I had already tried making that change with no luck.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• shhern80
    shhern80 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @UKR Thanks for the recommendations. I had already performed all of those steps as given in the Troubleshooting but with no resolution. I even used a backup from as far back as April and it didn't fix the issue.

The only item that has seemed to work is creating an entire new file by exporting and then importing the data which or course eliminate any investment transactions. This isn't really an option as I loose all visibility to past transactions for the investments which I'm attempting to avoid.

This is the first time I've tried a budget in 2020 but it worked fine in my previous 2017 version. Wondering if there is something that happened when I upgraded?
This discussion has been closed.