Customizing Security Name Not Available Anymore

I used to be able to set up a security using a customized name. Now, I can't do that anymore, especially since I already have one out there. There is one account where I want to keep track of its securities separately, even though some may be in other accounts. Is there a way that I can do that?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We may still edit a security's name from the Security Detail View: select Edit Details

We may still track securities separately even though some may be in other accounts by using unique names for the securities.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If these are public securities - like AAPL or MCD - the ticker would be the same along with the security name - in all accounts that held that specific security.
    You can see the holdings in the Security Detail or via other Investment reports.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    If these are public securities - like AAPL or MCD - the ticker would be the same along with the security name - in all accounts that held that specific security.
    You can see the holdings in the Security Detail or via other Investment reports.
    @ps56k: We may maintain distinct securities by name with the identical ticker symbol.   

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    To do what you want to do for a "new" security, do not enter the symbol (if you do, it will not let you create a new one with a different name).  Then after the security is added, go back and edit it to put in the symbol.

BTW, I assume you know that if you download transactions, the two securities will each download with the  name of the one that is "matched to online security ".  Therefore you will need to edit the downloaded transaction's security name to be what it should be.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_L said:
    To do what you want to do for a "new" security, do not enter the symbol (if you do, it will not let you create a new one with a different name).  Then after the security is added, go back and edit it to put in the symbol.
    Interesting.... took me a couple of attempts - but yeah, have to click the "manual add", and then leave the ticker "blank" - and come back and add the ticker...
    Not really sure why or how I would use this ...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suppose you have the same real world security in different accounts and you want to
    track them based upon different goals.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

This discussion has been closed.