One step update "renaming rule" wipes transaction details

Trish107
Trish107 Member ✭✭✭
Windows 10 Home x64
Quicken Deluxe 2020 V R28.24 Build 27.1.28.24

I've been using Quicken for well over a decade so I'm fairly versed in its operation. I also update the program every time I get a notification.

I believe this "weirdness" started happening within the last two updates. At first I thought it was a one-off but it's increasingly becoming a frustrating occurrence.

Here's what happening...

After I run one step update I go into my accounts to "fine tune" the transactions (as applicable). I update the transaction date, check number, payee, memo, category, tag, attach either a file or clip, verify the amount and then hit accept.

I've done this thousands of times over the years. Here's where it gets frustrating...

Recently if I have to modify the payee from the gobbledygook that gets downloaded to a more human friendly name I get the "Renaming Rule" box and proceed to verify that I want the gobbledygook changed to whatever I renamed it. Once again, this is a procedure I'm very familiar with.

At that point it posts/commits the transaction BUT posts the gobbledygook name and wipes out everything else including the memo, category, tag, and attachment. Then I have to go back into the posted transaction, do it all over again, and then manually save it.

Additional anomaly... After posting (but before manually updating) the gobbledygook transaction, the next "blank" transaction in the register has the attachment that was supposed to be attached to the now incorrectly posted transaction.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest saving the transaction before attaching a file or clip.  Are you using Automatic Entry or the Download tab?
  • Trish107
    Trish107 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I'm forced by the program to do what you've suggested, and I quote...

"Then I have to go back into the posted transaction, do it all over again, and then manually save it."

My point is that something has fundamentally changed in the way that the program works which makes it more "kludgy".

I'm using the Download tab.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trish107 said:
    I'm forced by the program to do what you've suggested, and I quote...

"Then I have to go back into the posted transaction, do it all over again, and then manually save it."

My point is that something has fundamentally changed in the way that the program works which makes it more "kludgy".

I'm using the Download tab.
    Instead of using the Accept button on the individual downloaded transaction, I suggest you use the Accept button at the very bottom of the Downloaded Transactions tab or use the Save button (or press Ctrl + Return) in the register.  
  • Trish107
    Trish107 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you! I'll give that a try next time (probably tomorrow).
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I encounter this from time to time and have never had a problem since I always hit Save on the transaction, as @Sherlock recommended.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

This discussion has been closed.