How do you cancel a check pay check that was issued but returned to me as undeliverable?

I had a check returned as undeliverable and the money was already debited from my bank account. How do I cancel this check and get the monies put back in my account? :/

Comments

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Have you verified online at your bank that the check was debited?  I had a similar undeliverable check returned to me.  Even though it was showing in my Quicken register it had not actually been debited from my bank account.  I suppose this could vary by financial institution but all of my Check Pay checks only affect my bank account after they have been delivered and cashed by the Payee.  I just voided out the returned check in Quicken and never saw anything more related to in by checking account.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Yes, it was debited. I am now online with Quicken to attempt to find out how to get it credited back. It is taking quite a while to get an answer. I have another Check Pay check that was mailed out on 8/26 that was not debited nor has the vendor cashed the check. I don't know why they were handled differently. Clearly one was an ACH debit firm and one wasn't. But the second one, not debited, is a major healthcare firm, so I am surprised about that. I have asked Quicken to give me an answer on both issues and am waiting.
  • Clearly Quicken Bill Manager is playing the float game by debiting the account before the vendor cashs and the check clears. Of course both of my transactions were processed on my same bank account.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Clearly Quicken Bill Manager is playing the float game by debiting the account before the vendor cashs and the check clears. Of course both of my transactions were processed on my same bank account.
    That has not been the case with any of my Check Pay payees.  I use both a Bank and a Credit Union payment account.  Some of the float has been several days (even up to 10) and each account was debited when the check actually cleared by deposit.  Also, I believe that Check Pay uses only printed checks and not ACH.  I have been able to download images of all the paid checks from my FIs.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• I agree that was the process. Quicken is now using ACH debits to hit our accounts when they cut the check. That way they get the float on our checks until they are received and cashed by the vendors. Not all vendors are part of the ACH system so it isn't done on all of them. I do still see the check images after they clear my credit union. But the image is not showing if it doesn't clear the bank, such one I am dealing with.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tomsteinberger

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize for the frustration that this caused.

If you need to cancel a Check Pay payment you will need to contact your bank to request a stop payment.

I do see that you contacted support regarding this issue, were you able to reach out to your bank to get this resolved or did you encounter an issue when doing so?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • On 8/25, I had Quicken process my first check pay payment using the Bill Manager platform. In addition to cutting the check an ACH debit to my bank account was done on 8/25. I never authorized an ACH debit for this check. I didn't know Quicken was going to play float with my monies when processing checks. I have been using Bill Pay from Quicken for over 15 years and CheckFree and Metavante, the previous payment processors, never did this. In the months subsequent I have not seen this done again however by Quicken in my account. My problem, which I have been trying to resolve since 9/8, was that the payee never received the check. The check remains uncashed and uncleared at my bank but my account debit of $550 remains in my account. After 90 days Quicken is telling me they do not debit accounts and that I should go to the bank. I don't know who, other than Quicken, may have debited the account. By Quicken's own records the check was not delivered to the vendor via mail until 9/4. And no one has cashed this check 90 days later. My bank has no details of the transaction as they did not process the check. The ACH debit in my bank account references the Quicken Check Pay check number in the transaction. I don't know how this check number could be in the transaction if Quicken did not initiate this?

Has anyone else had this experience? thanks.
This discussion has been closed.