Exercised Stock Options

Options
Darren@
Darren@ Member, Windows Beta Beta
I have Stock Options that I exercised in July. Used the wizard - all went well (except the one that I sold the same day it expired - Quicken has an off-by-1 bug that I posted earlier).

But now I notice that the old grant is still listed in the Portfolio view (Investing tab). There are 0 shares and $0 market value. But Quicken is still calculating the Granted Market Value (and changes as the stock price changes - which clearly doesn't make sense for something already sold).

Shouldn't exercised (or expired) grants be removed and not count toward Market Value / Portfolio Value?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Exercised and expired grants should have a market value of 0.  The grants should not be removed and Quicken will continue to track the market value of the associated security until you stop tracking the associated security.  If you do not want to include the option in a Portfolio view, I suggest you exclude the option security: select Customize, the Securities tab, uncheck the option security, and select OK
  • Darren@
    Darren@ Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    But I have other active grants for the same security (The Stock Option Wizard creates one security "CompanyName Option" regardless of grant/issue date). So if exclude the security then all the option grants go away...

> Quicken will continue to track the market value of the associated security
    I'd argue that is silly. Once exercised, there is no more "market value" of the option - it no longer exists.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darren@ said:
    But I have other active grants for the same security (The Stock Option Wizard creates one security "CompanyName Option" regardless of grant/issue date). So if exclude the security then all the option grants go away...

> Quicken will continue to track the market value of the associated security
    I'd argue that is silly. Once exercised, there is no more "market value" of the option - it no longer exists.
    I do understand the desire to have the expired and exercised grants to behave like closed lots.  If you still have active grants for the same security option, you can maintain the expired or fully exercised grants in a separate account and exclude the account from the view but I think it's a lot of work for minimal gain.