What are Actions under the Window menu?

I am a very experienced Quicken user but just noticed a menu command under the Window menu called Actions. What are they and how do I use/edit them?

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    If you turn on the Action column in your registers, you'll see that this field is sometimes filled by the transaction download with things like DEBIT, CREDIT, CHECK, etc. I don't find those particularly useful. But you can put anything you want in that field. Use your imagination. 

I use the field to note the method of payment (eg. PayPal, ApplePay, VisaPay, etc.) so I don't have to put it in the Memo field or use Tags for that purpose. 

The Actions window simply lists all the Action field entries used throughout the database. This allows you to delete or rename them if desired.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It's an optional field that doesn't directly do anything. Many users don't use the Actions column. Some people use them to denote certain types of transactions, such as EFT for electronic funds transfers, ATM for transactions at a machine, or certain types of DEBITs and CREDITs or DEPOSITs.

It seems Actions are something of an afterthought for the developers. Nothing is pre-populated in a list of Actions. I don't think you can even find a reference to it in Quicken Help. For longtime users of Quicken Mac, imported Quicken 2007 files can have Actions in the check number column, so they created a place for them in modern Quicken Mac. Depending on what transactions you download, some Actions may come in with your downloads. A fellow user reported seeing such Actions as ATM, CASH, CHECK, CREDIT, DEBIT, DEP, FEE, INT, OLBP, OTHER, SENT, TXFR and XFER from downloads.

Quicken doesn't use this field at all for any functionality, so it's purely a matter of whether you find any need for an extra field to denote something about your transactions. I personally stopped using the few Actions I used in Quicken 2007 and have the column hidden in my registers.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    If you turn on the Action column in your registers, you'll see that this field is sometimes filled by the transaction download with things like DEBIT, CREDIT, CHECK, etc. I don't find those particularly useful. But you can put anything you want in that field. Use your imagination. 

I use the field to note the method of payment (eg. PayPal, ApplePay, VisaPay, etc.) so I don't have to put it in the Memo field or use Tags for that purpose. 

The Actions window simply lists all the Action field entries used throughout the database. This allows you to delete or rename them if desired.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It's an optional field that doesn't directly do anything. Many users don't use the Actions column. Some people use them to denote certain types of transactions, such as EFT for electronic funds transfers, ATM for transactions at a machine, or certain types of DEBITs and CREDITs or DEPOSITs.

It seems Actions are something of an afterthought for the developers. Nothing is pre-populated in a list of Actions. I don't think you can even find a reference to it in Quicken Help. For longtime users of Quicken Mac, imported Quicken 2007 files can have Actions in the check number column, so they created a place for them in modern Quicken Mac. Depending on what transactions you download, some Actions may come in with your downloads. A fellow user reported seeing such Actions as ATM, CASH, CHECK, CREDIT, DEBIT, DEP, FEE, INT, OLBP, OTHER, SENT, TXFR and XFER from downloads.

Quicken doesn't use this field at all for any functionality, so it's purely a matter of whether you find any need for an extra field to denote something about your transactions. I personally stopped using the few Actions I used in Quicken 2007 and have the column hidden in my registers.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.