Downloaded transactions does not show dividend

Quicken Premier 2020 for Windows. Invetment transactions.

Transaction downloaded automatically from Vanguard does not show Dividend. It does show Dividend reinvetment. My quesitons:
1. Do I have to enter it manually?
2. When I enter a new transaction, it only allows me to enter Date, Amount and Memo fields. How do I enter category (i.e. Div, DivReinv, etc.)

TIA

Best Answers

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    quick123 said:
    Quicken Premier 2020 for Windows. Investment transactions.

Transaction downloaded automatically from Vanguard does not show Dividend. It does show Dividend reinvestment. My quesitons:
    1. Do I have to enter it manually?
    2. When I enter a new transaction, it only allows me to enter Date, Amount and Memo fields. How do I enter category (i.e. Div, DivReinv, etc.)

TIA
    Dividend Reinvestment includes the dividend portion of the transaction.  For the same event, you should only have one - EITHER a Dividend Reinvestment OR a Dividend and a Buy Shares.  It is not clear in your question if you are talking about one security or two different securities being handled different ways.

#2, more info needed.  How are you trying to add a new transaction?  What type of account?  What is happening as you proceed?  A screenshot (Windows Snipping tool) can be very helpful.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @quick123 ,  That is how it works with the Vanguard downloads.  I know that if you go to Vanguard’s website > Transaction history, you will see two entries, one is Div received (+$10) and the other is Div reinvested (-$10).  But when it is downloaded to Quicken, you will see only one entry for Div Reinvested – which is essentially combining the two transactions into one entry.  This is not Quicken’s doing, but rather what Vanguard downloads to Quicken.  That is how it works for mine too at least.  Unless you find a discrepancy, end result is the same.  Or am I misunderstanding your question?
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• quick123
    quick123 Member ✭✭
    Thanks @BK. Yes that is exactly how it is been downloaded by auto-update. Vanguard only download allow for last 18 months only and I have longer history so I wanted to add the rest manually. I don't care how it is seen in transactions, as long as I can calculate/report dividends, and have complete history. I am new to this and may be that is confusing me more. TIA.
  • quick123
    quick123 Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > (Quote)
    > Dividend Reinvestment includes the dividend portion of the transaction.  For the same event, you should only have one - EITHER a Dividend Reinvestment OR a Dividend and a Buy Shares.  It is not clear in your question if you are talking about one security or two different securities being handled different ways.
    >
    > #2, more info needed.  How are you trying to add a new transaction?  What type of account?  What is happening as you proceed?  A screenshot (Windows Snipping tool) can be very helpful.

I want to add transaction in a way I can go all the way back when I bought that fund and history of div/re-investment so I can see capital gains calculation at the end of this financial year.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to manually add whatever transactions took place in the real world back as far in time as you choose.  You have not clarified what you are doing when you say you can only enter Date, Amount, and memo fields. 
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    quick123 said:
    Thanks @BK. Yes that is exactly how it is been downloaded by auto-update. Vanguard only download allow for last 18 months only and I have longer history so I wanted to add the rest manually. I don't care how it is seen in transactions, as long as I can calculate/report dividends, and have complete history. I am new to this and may be that is confusing me more. TIA.
    So in that case the downloads should be correct and so should be your history.  I suggest you do some comparison spot checks at various dates to verify that.  Financial institutions show you the double transactions in case the reinvestment happens the next day.  But typically the Div received & reinvested happen back-to-back.
    To be able to download more than 18 months if the One Step Update (OSU) does not do that for you (3-18 months is a typical range but every financial institution is different, some give you more, some less), try a manual download [export] directly from their website and [Import] it to Quicken to see if that gives you more data going back to older dates.  If neither the Quicken Update nor the Export/Import method give you older dates, then you need to enter them manually as @Jim_Harman and @q_lurker wrote above.  I defer that to the Superusers and Quicken Support.
    No matter what you do, always always do incremental backups of your Quicken datafile so that if things get convoluted, you can go back to a prior good version and start again.  Alternatively create a new Quicken "test" datafile and do all your trial & errors in there first.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• quick123
    quick123 Member ✭✭
    @Jim_Harman I have not see that dialogue box before. It definetely helps, I will figure out how to open it. Thanks.

@q_lurker I am sorry but I do not understand what you are asking for. I just bought this and new to a lot of terminologies.

@BK I like your idea of creating a test file. It took me a long time to put this together, I do not have courage to do this all over again. I will create more backup files so if something goes wrong, I don't have to start all over again.

Thanks you all for your quick replies.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @quick123 You said
    2. When I enter a new transaction, it only allows me to enter Date, Amount and Memo fields. 
    I don't know what that means.  WHAT only allows you limited info entry?  Where are you trying to enter a new transaction?  How are you trying to do that?  That is what I am asking you to clarify.  

From an investment account transaction list, you should be able to click on the Enter Transactions button and create all types of transactions.  Jim Harman's citation is one such example, one of many available.
  • quick123
    quick123 Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > @quick123  You said
    > (Quote)
    > I don't know what that means.  WHAT only allows you limited info entry?  Where are you trying to enter a new transaction?  How are you trying to do that?  That is what I am asking you to clarify.  
    >
    > From an investment account transaction list, you should be able to click on the Enter Transactions button and create all types of transactions.  Jim Harman's citation is one such example, one of many available.

I do not know how to answer your question, sorry.