Mass Edit Memorized Payee List

Does anyone know how to mass edit the Memorized Payee List? I want to clear all memo lines from my list, which is huge. Thanks.
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Before making any significant changes to our Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

To mass edit the Memorized Payee List, I suggest you export the memorized payees to a QIF file, edit the QIF file using your favorite text file editor, delete the memorized payees from the Memorized Payee List, and import the QIF file.

To export the memorized payees to a QIF file: select File > Export > QIF File..., uncheck Transactions, check Memorized payee, and select OK

To clear all the memo lines, use the editor delete all the lines in the QIF file that begin with a capital M or E.  

To delete all the memorized payees from the Memorized Payee List: press Ctrl + T, left-click on the first memorized payee, press Shift and left-click on the last memorized payee, select Delete and OK

To import a QIF file: select File > Import File > QIF File...

• Thanks alot. I will try it.
  • It did not work for me. I was able to delete all the memo lines but when I reimported the QIF, the memorized payee list still has memos.

When importing the edited QIF, do I check only Memorized payee? Thanks.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    It did not work for me. I was able to delete all the memo lines but when I reimported the QIF, the memorized payee list still has memos.

When importing the edited QIF, do I check only Memorized payee? Thanks.
    Sounds like you didn't delete the memorized payees from the Memorized Payee List before you imported the QIF file.
  • Ovidiu
    Ovidiu Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    > @Sherlock said:
    > To clear all the memo lines, use the editor delete all the lines in the QIF file that begin with a capital M or E.  

Thanks Sherlock! This was the most useful part for me.

For those that want to also clear the Tag column: it is not saved on its own line in QIF, but appended after the category (with a "/"). Still a lot easier to make the edit in a text file than in Quicken.

PS: The delete of all Memorized payees (I had ~1700) was quite slow (~3 minutes)! Like most Quicken operations unfortunately.

Also I ran into a couple of bugs (it's unbelievable how buggy Quicken is :( ) :
    * list of accounts is exported even if you uncheck them
    * the Lock status of Memories Payees is NOT saved. You will lose the Locked attribute for all those that you have locked

*UPDATE: Major BUG:* After deleting and re-importing all all Memorized payees I see all of them. After I close and reopen the file I only see a dozen that I locked (the option to view only Locked is unchecked). Trying another export I only get the dozen that I see. I re-tried this 3 times. Same results.

Quicken Deluxe ver R42.8, build 27.1.42.8, Windows 10 Home
This discussion has been closed.