Errors when adding attachments

stanray
stanray Member ✭✭✭
I'm running Quicken 2020 vR28.28 on a Win10 laptop that has all the MS updates. For the last several Quicken updates I cannot attach anything to a transaction. On the laptop when I scan a doc or try to attach a file Quicken goes through the motions of uploading to the cloud and then nothing. The cloud icon keeps showing until I tap on the screen to cancel and it responds with the Quicken is not responding do you want to recover or wait. Waiting never works. Cloud sync is turned off, I quit using mobile app and the Web version but the laptop version always hangs and has through several updates now. After recovering from the hang up of trying to upload to the cloud, the attachment is connected to the transaction locally but not the cloud. If I try to upload manually to the cloud I then get the crash again. The attachment issue is with the cloud as I can't get attachments into the cloud when trying to upload using the mobile app and the web version. I've reset the cloud, run file validation, super validation, tried new dummy files and the same thing occurs. Anyone else having something similar?
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @stanray

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I have a few questions to help me better understand what could be happening.

First, how long have you been experiencing this trouble? When do last recall being able to add attachment?

Also, syncing to the cloud is for use with the mobile/web app, you state that you do not use the mobile and web app. Can you please explain where and when you are syncing to the cloud?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    First off thank you for responding! I've experienced this now for several months. I tried online tech support once without much success.

I always synced my files and accounts to the cloud so that I could use the mobile and web interfaces. They always worked. I could scan a receipt from the laptop, mobile phone and from the web interface and the attachment would be available to view from anywhere. The problem was first noticed when trying to scan a receipt into my laptop application. Everything appeared to be normal right up to the point of finishing the upload of the scan to the cloud. The little cloud would move up and down forever and never quit. When I would tap the done button or try to close the window with the X in the top right corner, the background would turn black and the window would dim and say that Quicken is not responding, do I want to recover or wait for the program. Waiting was futile so I would recover. When Quicken restarted the attachment was attached to the transaction in the desktop but not uploaded to the cloud. When I try to attach a receipt using the mobile app, I take the picture using the mobile app and it goes through the motions of creating the attachment but the attachment is never attached or created.

I have created new Quicken files and tried to make a attachment to a transaction and it does the same thing. I have copied my Quicken file to a new one and it does the same thing. I have validated and super validated my Quicken file and it does the same thing. The only two things I have not done is to reload my Quicken program but if the mobile app won't create a attachment I'm not expecting that to work. The other thing I have not done is to log out of my Quicken account and log back in as someone else.

I only recently turned off syncing to the cloud as I thought if it did not sync to the cloud I could at least make my local attachments without the whole thing crashing on me. Alas that did not work as the thing still wants to try and send the attachment to the cloud and it crashes anyway.

I have several months of receipts and checks and what not to load into this thing so any help you can give would be appreciated.
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    I need to make a correction to my problem. Today I updated to R29.9 and one of my problems has gone away. The mobile app is now creating attachments and syncing to the cloud and my desktop will sync the cloud and the attachment created by the mobile app is there. I still get a crash when creating the attachment on the desktop.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @stanray

I'm glad to hear that one of the issues was resolved with the installation of R29.9, although I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing a crash when creating the attachment on the desktop.

I have a quick question, how are you creating the attachment?  Which option are you selecting from the Add drop-down menu?

If you are selecting the "Add File" option, what is the file type for the image?  

Quicken supports the following file types: .bmp, .gif, .ico, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, or .tiff file that is up to 5 MB in file size.

If the attachment is saved as a different file type from the list above, please try re-saving the file and uploading it in Quicken once more.

Does the crash still occur?  Please let us know, thank you!

Sarah
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    Should have mentioned that in my first post but I scan documents in and they are .jpg or .jpeg. I have 2 scanners available to use, a Neat scanner and the scanner on my Brother printer. Two different scanners with two different drivers but with the same result.

Today I also let the attachment window complete the little cloud bounce thing on it's own. It resulted in completing the task without erroring out and did create the attachment locally but the cloud did not get uploaded.
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    Quick question, the transaction window in your post (and on all Quicken installs I imagine) shows .pdf documents as an option but you did not mention .pdf as one of the file types to use. Reasons?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hello @stanray

Thank you for the response and the additional details, I am curious if this issue occurs in a test file.

May I ask that you navigate to File > New Quicken File and create a new file for testing purposes.

In this new file, please create a new transaction and add an attachment. If you experience a crash here this points to an issue with the application.

If this does not crash this points to the issue being related to the data file, at which point we can troubleshoot the original file further.

stanray said:
    Quick question, the transaction window in your post (and on all Quicken installs I imagine) shows .pdf documents as an option but you did not mention .pdf as one of the file types to use. Reasons?
    There is no conspiracy theory here I am afraid :) The documentation on the subject just needs to be updated to include the .pdf file type.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-attach-check-receipt-or-other-image-transaction

This has been reported, good eye! 

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    Looks like my TEST file does the same thing. Scan the document to the transaction, background goes black, hour glass appears and it hangs there for a long while. If I let it eventually it will recover on its own with the attachment locally attached but not in the cloud.
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    On my TEST file I went to Mobile & Web tab, deselected accounts to be synced and then ran a cloud sync. I then went to Preferences and under reset cloud data I set sync and then reset cloud. After that I turned the SYNC switch off and tried to attach to a transaction and it went very smoothly without trying to upload to cloud. When I do the same thing in my data file the attach window still tries to upload to the cloud.
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I am experiencing the exact issue as stanray: When I attempt to add an attachment (receipt) to a transaction from a scanner, after the receipt is scanned and processed, Quicken crashes/closes. NOTE: this feature worked prior to the recent update to R29.9, so it appears something was unintentionally changed with this recent update. Also, just as stanray, I have 2 scanners and both scanners give the same result of Quicken crashing/closing after the scan is processed. And when Quicken is reopened, the scanned image is not attached to the transaction. Again, this issue did not happen with the previous version(s) of Quicken.

I can successfully add a file to a transaction, it is just the scanner option that is now not working properly and causing Quicken to crash after the scan is completed.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @carlj07

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and report this issue.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    Wanted to let you know that I worked with Quicken Support yesterday for about 2-2 1/2 hours and did not get a resolution yet. We did however demonstrate to QS the problem by duplicating the problem during a shared screen. They also looked at the numbers of people that have stated they have same or similar problems and see that this is not a one off problem. They have my log files and will get back with me when they have a resolution.
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    It is October 1st 2020 and I have not heard back from QS about this problem.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @stanray

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that you have not received a response from support.

I was able to locate the ticket created with the support and it is labeled "In-Progress" so it is being worked.

I do not have an ETA to offer, you should receive an email from support when a solution becomes available.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to a solution!
  • presterct
    presterct Member
    Following this thread--I have the exact same issue. It only started after some recent update.
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    It is October 14, 2020 and nothing yet. I'm not complaining, this is only a reminder to everyone following this thread of the timeline. Also, the Mobile app won't attach a photo of a receipt either. Doesn't appear to error out but there is no attachment attached to a transaction after going through the process of using the camera to create the attachment
  • kerri2194
    kerri2194 Member
    I was having the same problem. Mine started instantly after restarting my computer to install Windows Updates. I uninstalled all the updates, restarted my computer, opened Quicken and tried to attach a receipt from my scanner. It worked without a problem. Maybe this will help someone else.

I used quicken all day yesterday (10-13-2020) adding dozens of attachments. Backed up Quicken and restarted the computer to install the Windows updates. This morning, Quicken just crashed when I tried to attach anything. Even a file saved already to the computer. The only thing that happened between yesterday and this morning was the update to Windows.
  • kerri2194
    kerri2194 Member
    I take it back. Opened Quicken this morning and it auto updated itself to R29.22. Attachments are not causing it to crash but I am unable to get to any folders on the computer through Add Attachment and it will not open the scanner. I get a Not Responding, the background goes black, and then goes back to the Add Attachment box.
  • kerri2194
    kerri2194 Member
    Just downloaded Mondo Patch from here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Clicked this:
    Download the Latest Update (US Versions)
    Download the US Mondo Patch Update (333.93MB)

Closed Quicken and installed the patch. Opened Quicken without restarting computer and attachments are working again.
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    Was already updated to 29.22 and attachments crashed Quicken. Tried the Mondo patch anyway and am still getting the crash with no change. There may be a problem with Windows updates but this problem has been with me for several months now and was not created by one of the recent Win10 updates. I will repeat the crux of my problem occurs when scanning attachments into the desktop and also when creating attachments with the Android APP. Symptoms are somewhat different in that the desktop will attach locally but not to cloud and crash. The app will not even create the attachment but not crash.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @stanray

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

I have sent you a direct message, please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    OK, so far I'm no further than I was before with getting this problem corrected. Two days ago I spent 4 hours on phone with support about this glitch that I have. Two hours were spent with a tech who was in the process of getting my problem escalated to the next tier of support. We had made pretty good progress when the call got dropped. I called back and gave the ticket # to the next tech who answered and requested the tech I was working with as I already have two hours of time and troubleshooting invested with him. Was told that was not possible and that he would help me. Sooooooo I started over with everything again with the "new" tech and we covered everything again for two hours. The same things were tried and the same results were received. We did manage to get some attachments into the cloud via the mobile app but that is NOT the final solution that would be satisfactory. He seemed to think calling this a "work around" was a satisfactory result of the call to report as a resolution to this problem. It is not. As of this morning I AM able to attach a photo attachment from the mobile app and have it wind up in the cloud. I AM NOT able to scan a image from my scanners into the desktop and have it in the cloud. Is this a work around? Technically I suppose it is. Does Quicken work the way it is supposed to? No. This is a problem I (we) have encountered for sometime now and it is getting to the point of being frustrating in the belief the problem is not being worked.

Is this a true Quicken problem? Don't know, it may be a local problem with my data file or your data files or your scanner drivers, don't know. I need help in diagnosing this to determine what it will take to fix this glitch. I was a computer tech and worked the industry in technical support traveling the world fixing things that couldn't be fixed. I know there is a solution to this.

Is anyone else still having this problem? If so, contact support and open your own tickets. It appears that there is not enough urgency here because of the belief this is not a "big enough" problem. Keep this thread open so this can be tracked.
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Yes, stanray, I am still experiencing the problem of Quicken closing/crashing when I attempt to scan a receipt to attach it to a transaction. As I stated in my earlier post at the beginning of this thread, this issue began immediately after I updated Quicken to version R29.9 when it was released and it has continued with subsequent version updates. Today I submitted a Problem Report thru Quicken (Help|Report a problem) with the details I am experiencing (I am on extended business travel and don't have time to work the issue with Quicken on the phone).

A note to Quicken - just because not many people may use this feature is not a reason to not fix the problem. It used to work - now it does not. If the feature does not work as it should, fix it or remove the feature altogether.
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    Checking in to say I have heard crickets from Quicken.
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    If you have been following this thread you will see that there was a "work around" mentioned in a earlier post. Today that "work around" is not functioning.

I am at the point of saying screw it, I'm just going to complain about every little glitch I get in Quicken from here on out. No help or suggestions, just complain.
  • WVBonnie
    WVBonnie Member
    I was having the same issue as mentioned above. I downloaded and installed the "Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows" and it fixed the problem.
  • stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you WVBonnie for your input on this. I recently tested this stuff again yesterday and lo and behold it all works again! I can scan from my scanner and it shows up in the cloud on my mobile devices and today I attached a photo to a transaction in my mobile device and I can see it on my desktop. I am now on Version 32.10 Build 27.1.32.10.
This discussion has been closed.