Installing an older copy of Quicken Deluxe on a different computer, for a different user.

Is it possible to install a copy of an older version (say 2011) on a different computer, for a different user? I have all my original CD's from several versions. I've been using 2011- since 2011 - over several versions of Windows including currently on Windows 10, and it works great - as a stand-alone program. I do NOT use ANY online banking, bill-pay, stock quotes, etc, etc or any other online feature.
My father in law is trying to achieve the same thing, without buying a new version and signing up for a subscription. I see lots of old copies of Quicken for sale on eBay, etc - but it's impossible to determine if they have been previously installed/registered, and if so, does that render the software unusable? It seems there must be a Product ID and/or registration code involved in the installation, to preclude re-selling or pirating of the software.
Please advise if there is a way to achieve this and thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• grantj
    grantj Member ✭✭
    Volvogirl - You rock! Thanks for the super-quick response, and the good news!
    Just to confirm:
    I can upgrade my existing Quicken 2011 Deluxe, to 2013, simply by going to the link you provided.
    As far as my relative: Do I need to send him my Quicken 2011 CD-ROM, and have him install that first - and THEN, follow the link to upgrade to 2013? Or can I just provide him that link and advise him to download/install directly from there?
    Thanks again for your help!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    He can just download 2013 directly.  Each year is a full new install not just an upgrade.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• grantj
    grantj Member ✭✭
    :) OK Terrific. One more question (being how you're so timely!): Is Q2013 significantly different from Q2011, as far as the UI goes? In Q2011, there is an option under the View column to use "Classic Menus", instead of "Standard Menus" - which I really like. I'm super-comfortable with the interface I have now, and the last thing I want is to be forced to learn a whole new interface if I elect to upgrade to Q2013 - Please advise if you can and many thanks,
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know.  I went from 2004 to 2013.  I really like it.  It's probably the same or very similar to Q2011.  Just post any questions you have with 2013.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• grantj
    grantj Member ✭✭
    Right, thank you again for all your help.
  • grantj
    grantj Member ✭✭
    OK Thanks much - I really don't use those two features, so that shouldn't affect me at all. And I found another reference to the "Classic Menu" view option for Q2013, so I should be good to upgrade. Thanks everyone for your help! :)
  • grantj
    grantj Member ✭✭
    Well, I got Q2011 backed up, downloaded and installed Q2013 from the link provided, and it looks fine - Except -
    The Registration screen comes up repeatedly, and says registration can not be completed! "Please check your internet connection, blah, blah". I can't even close that window without resorting to Task Manager/End task function.
    About every third time I open the program, I get the Registration screen again. I'm about 99% sure my most recent Q2011 (purchased) version was registered, how do I get around this issue, anyone know?
  • grantj
    grantj Member ✭✭
    Never mind, now I've figured out you can't register a product more than 2 years old, and also found the hack to disable the Registration nag screen....
  • grantj
    grantj Member ✭✭
    Got it Chris, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.