Unable to use bank online bill pay

I have used my bank's bill pay (not quicken bill pay / bill manager) for years. I can no longer use it.

Under Account Details - Online services tab online setup is direct connect. Quicken Bill Manager is NOT enabled. "Enable for Online Bill Pay" is active.

When try to "send" in the check tab i get the message "you don't have an account that is enabled for online payment"

When I go to online payee list. The "add" button is grayed out.

I have deactivated and reactivated the account for online services.

I do NOT want to use Quicken Bill Manager.

I have spent a lot of time searching Google and Quicken Community. But no luck.

Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which bank? Have you contacted them about any changes? 
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    smagal said:
    When I go to online payee list. The "add" button is grayed out.
    In the online payee list, is your FI is set to your bank? If it's Show All Online Payees, it's a list that was restored for reference only and not for payment. 

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• smagal
    smagal Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the responses.

The bank is: Huntington Bank.

Online Payee List shows all online payees. Used to show the bank name (I think). How do I repair this? The bank account is enabled for online payment. I tried deactivate/activate.

Chatted with customer services: says I MUST enable quicken bill manager. I don't recall being required to enabling the old Quicken Bill Pay. Can't I simply use my bank's bill pay feature any more? This was working just fine for years until a week or so ago. I sent an online payment on 9/14.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a down arrow of the FI window in Online Payees?  You should be able to select your Bank if it is still authorized for Direct Connect Payment.  

Quicken user since 1995

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Based on the FI listing, your bank does indicate that it supports banking bill pay with Quicken. You are NOT required to use Quickens payment service and should be able to continue using payments as in the past. 

11025 11025 11025 Huntington National Bank https://www.huntington.com/ 1-877-932-2265 https://onlinebanking.huntington.com/rol/Auth/login.aspx ACTIVE BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

If you've made no changes recently, you might try restoring a backup file to see if the online access changes. Are you paying a fee to your bank? There are only two banks that offer online bill pay with Quicken for free.
  • smagal
    smagal Member ✭✭
    In the online payee list, FI dropdown only shows "show all online payees." No FI institution in the list. Online setup for the bank is direct connect and it is "enabled for online bill pay"
  • smagal
    smagal Member ✭✭
    GeoffG: Thanks for verifying that I don't have to use Quicken Bill Manager.

I do pay for Huntington online banking. Have used it for years with Quicken (as recently as 9/14). Only recent changes was quicken update!!

Even with direct connect setup and online bill pay enabled, I can't see Huntington in the online pay dropdown. And can't "send online payment" in the bank register - message is "you don't have an account that is enabled for online payments.

I enabled Quicken Bill Manager to see if that made a difference. It did not make a difference.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a screen shot of your Online Services Screen for your bank?
    My thought would be to disable and re-enable to Online Banking.  I know a recent update changed the process for adding banks.  I don't know why that would affect an existing connection so it's just a guess.

Quicken user since 1995

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear are you able to see this setup in the Account List?

• smagal
    smagal Member ✭✭
    Jrich75: I did deactivate and reactivate online banking several times!

GeoffG: In the online services tab it showed online bill pay was enabled.
    However, in the account list (like your screenshot) the bill pay was NOT activated. I clicked activate and online bill pay via bank is now working. I don't know when/how it was turned off. My guess is that the recent quicken update did it. They are pushing Q Bill Manager. Customer support insisted that i had to activate it.

Thanks for you help.

Now I have different problem: I activated Q Bill Manager to see if it resolved the problem (it did not). Now I cant figure out how to deactivate Q Bill Manager!! :)
  • smagal
    smagal Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac : Got it . Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.