Income Expense By Category Does Not Include Covered Shorts

Covering a short at a profit or a loss generates realized gain/loss. But it does not show up in the Income Expense By Category report. How do I add it?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did a test in Quicken R27.28 and the transaction showed up properly.  Is the Account in which the transaction included in the report?  (Customize > Accounts > Make sure Account is selected)  Is _RlzdGain included in the report?
  • saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Updated to R29.12. cvrshrt still not showing. The account is included and Sold transactions in the account show in _RlzdGain, cvrshrt does not.
  • saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Tried creating a new report but the income items are wrong. The top report is from my saved report. The bottom one is from a new report.
  • Tom Young
    edited September 2020
    You need to customize your new report.  I'd guess the Investment Accounts have not been included in the report since _DivInc and "RlzdGain" are both missing.  If you don't want transfers included on the report then click on the Advanced tab in the customization window and exclude transfers.  And of course, make sure that _RlzdGain is included in the Categories.
    Test results:

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Still does not include cvrshrt. Click on the dollar amounts. Do you have a cvrshrt transaction?
  • Tom Young
    If you look closely at the two pictures I posted you'll see the transaction itself - sell short 9/26, cover 9/28 - in the transaction list, and you'll see the capital gains report for 9/28 reporting the short cover in the correct amount.  The spending report for 9/28 shows the proper realized gain from that transaction also, as shown here:

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    There are two images attached. One shows two transactions on 9/23 in the same account. The other is _RlzdGain for 9/23 in the same account. The second one only includes the Sold transaction not the CvrShrt transaction.
  • Tom Young
    The problem is that you've entered the transaction incorrectly.  Look at the first picture I posted and look at the "Actions" I used for my test entry.  So delete the two transactions in the Account and re-enter the trade.  First a short sale action, then a cover short action.  That should work.
  • saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    See attached image. The transactions are correctly entered.
  • Tom Young
    edited October 2020

Are you not getting that?

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    It shows up on Capital Gains. It does not show up in _RlzdGain.
  • Tom Young
    I forgot to include the Spending by Category report so I included it above, and you can see that it comes through properly.

If the Account is included as "feeding" that report and the _RlzdGain Category is also selected then I'd validating the file first:
    1. File > File Operations > Copy.. and then using the copied file
    2. File > File Operations > Validate & Repair...
    If that doesn't bring it up then I'd suggest an uninstall of Quicken and then reinstalling:
    If the transaction is properly entered you can see that it does flow through to the Spending report.

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    I setup a simple section of my report. The first one shows the report with _RlzGain. Note the amount: 95,254.41
    Now I double click on it to see the detail and the total is now: 87,063.89
    It is missing come covered short transactions. How do I get them to show?
  • saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Forgot to includes some of the transactions that are missing from the dril down.
  • saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Yes I did Validate and Repair with the ctrl and shift keys down.
  • Tom Young
    Nothing really seems to be holding together properly.  95,254.41 - 87,063.89 = 8,190.52, but the missing transactions you've shown don't add up to that.  Are there additional ShtSell/CvrShrt transactions that make up the difference?
    Drilling down should bring up all the detail.  The only thing I can think of - which doesn't seem possible - is that the drill down report might be omitting your option transactions, either because the securities haven't been included or that the ShtSell/CvrShrt actions are being omitted.  Click "Customize" in that report and make sure everything is properly included.
  • saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    I only included one pair of short/cvrshrt to show that there were some.
    As far as I know everything has been inluded. Did you try drilling down on the example your posted?
  • saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    BTW, how did this discussion get flaged as Answered? I didn't do that and I started the discussion.
  • Tom Young
    edited December 2020
    If I drill down off the Spending report's _RlzdGain the ShtSell/CvrShrt transaction does show up.
    A question gets the "Answered" notation if somebody responds.  Doesn't necessarily the question was answered to the original poster's satisfaction.
    You did check to see that the securities and ShtSell/CvrShrt actions were included, right?  (They should be.)

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Please note they show up in the total for _RlzGain. They don't show up in the detail.

There isn't any filter for actions.

Did you try drilling down in the test report you setup?
  • Tom Young
    "Did you try drilling down in the test report you setup?"
    As I said: "If I drill down off the Spending report's _RlzdGain the ShtSell/CvrShrt transaction does show up."
    "There isn't any filter for actions."
    Here's the report that results from the drill down:
    It looks like any other report and is fully customizable, so you can check on Account/Security/Action inclusion.
    I don't think this is the problem, but you should look.
    It may be time to contact support.  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options.  They can screen share and perhaps figure out what's going on.
  • saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Please note that the short coverage are included in the _RlzGain at the higher level -- just not in the dril down.
    Also, there isn't any Account/Security/Action filter.

I will try Quicken support.
This discussion has been closed.