Why is Quicken Suddenly Closing after I download transactions?

Joe Editor
Joe Editor Member ✭✭
Quicken works fine and stays open after I do the one step update for the institutions that allow it. But after I manually download transactions from my two checking accounts at Bank of America, the program automatically closes and I have to reopen it. Why is this happening and how do I fix it? I've checked every setting I can find and nothing seems to match.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Joe Editor
    Let's get more clarity about your exact situation so the we might better help you.
    What year/version/build of Quicken are you using? (Help > About Quicken)

I do not yet understand why you use One Step Update for most of your accounts, but then you manually download transactions from two checking accounts at Bank of America? Why don't you download the transactions directly from BofA via OSU? (Which Banks Are Supported in the latest Release of Quicken? Is Direct Connect not available for your checking accounts at BofA? If possible, using Direct Connect should be faster/easier way to accomplish your goal. Web Connect [the method you've described] is viable, but a bit more involved.)

To make sure we understand your process: You log into the BofA website, select one of your checking accounts, select a date range to download, select the file format to download (a Quicken-readable file format), download to your computer, then import from your computer into your work Quicken Data File - and then the Quicken software suddenly closes? Is that correct? Do you get any error messages at all? If so, what exactly is the error message? How long has this been happening? In all other regards, your working Data File, the Quicken software and your computer are all working well, yes? Has anything - like your OS, ISP, firewall, anti-virus and/or VPN - changed recently?

To get to the root cause and resolution, this will take some additional troubleshooting yet. You might consider contacting support; the support people may well request viewing your screen and watching your go through the entire process to better ascertain what's triggering Quicken to close unexpectedly. Once we figure out what's triggering the unexpected behavior, then we work towards resolution of the concern.

• Joe Editor
    Joe Editor Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much, Sherlock..it worked! I didn't realize all those individual items also had preferences to set. And to think I've been using Quicken for about as long as you! Thanks again!
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Or @Sherlock could just point out that checking one box resolves your concern. That works too.  ;)
  • Joe Editor
    Joe Editor Member ✭✭
    Yep, but just to let you know, Hugh, Bank of America doesn't let me download my transactions without paying extra for 'online banking.' I'm not about to do that when I can do it in a couple of steps. It is kind of lame of BoA, though. Thanks!
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @Joe Editor,
    I am glad that the concern is resolved.
    Now it makes sense why you don't use DC.
    A few years ago I switched my accounts to a local credit union, as I had exhausted my patience with my former big bank's (not BofA) seemingly endless mystery fees.
    Thanks for posting the explanation. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Yep, but just to let you know, Hugh, Bank of America doesn't let me download my transactions without paying extra for 'online banking.' I'm not about to do that when I can do it in a couple of steps. It is kind of lame of BoA, though. Thanks!
    Long-time Bank of America customers may be able to use the Direct Connect connection method to access their accounts using Bank of America-All Other States as the name of the financial institution.  Otherwise, the choice is between using Web Connect or the less reliable Express Web Connect connection method to import transactions from the financial institution both of which should be available without paying extra.
This discussion has been closed.