What is the use of a Custom Category Group?

BK
BK Member ✭✭✭✭

Not an issue but I would like to learn more about custom category Group (Category List > Options > Assign Category Groups).

I have not made any use of the custom category group feature and played around and realized that they don't even show up in the account register or reports, correct?  So, besides a visual sorting in the Category List window what else is the result or benefit of assigning a category to a custom group?  I appreciate your suggestions, scenarios and examples of use cases.  TIA

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
- I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I created 2 groups, Mandatory Spending and Discretionary Spending, and painstakingly assigned my spending categories to one or the other.
    Now I can run reports showing all my spending in one group or the other. Some reports, in particular Spending by Category and Spending by Payee, do allow you to customize based on Category Groups.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    They also show up in the budget views.  When you look at the budget views the are grouped by category groups, both built in ones, and custom ones.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Thank you both very much - I see now.  I have accomplished similar to that scenario using custom category & sub-categories (and Tags), and they are available to all reports.  But I can now certainly see the added benefit of custom grouping as well.
    Travel
            Hotel - Business    [Mandatory]
            Hotel - Mistress     [Mandatory!!!]
            Hotel - Vacation      [Discretionary]
    Look forward to more ideas.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.