How do I Print a check? (Q Mac)

Options
Bob@37
Bob@37 Member ✭✭
I _try_ to use an Epson WorkForce Pro WF-3730 printer. It prints well, except that I have not figured-out one thing: “How do I print a Bank Check?” [Read the end as “Bank Check” _or_ “Blank check”. They are one & the same here. :-) ]

This includes, “Just Where do I feed a blank check?” Is it upside-down or right-side up? My Epson printer has _2_ trays that hold paper PLUS an area on top of the printer that looks-like it can accept paper. (I feel Confused, which feels uncomfortable, with a Macintosh computer.)

Should you reply with Success, then I can go-on my way being Generous to Charity, again. I thank you & so do my favorite charities. Thank you.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I don't have your printer, so I can't advise you which way the paper should face. Just looking at a picture of it quickly, the top section appears to be the scanner, not a tray for printing, and I'd guess that the paper does in face down, with the top of the page facing into the printer. What I'd suggest is that you print a dummy check or two in order to figure it out.

Take a piece of blank paper, and near the top edge, write "Top". Put it in the top paper tray, face down (e.g. the side you wrote on face down), with the top farthest into the printer. Then create a test transaction, with PRINT in the check number column. Select File > Print Checks and click the Print button. Go ahead and print this dummy check to see if it comes out facing up and on the correct side of the paper. If not, repeat the test flipping the paper until you understand which way to feed the paper in your printer. You can then delete the dummy check transaction in your register and proceed with a real check in the printer and a real payment.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Here's some more general information about printing checks with Quicken Mac:
    AFAIK, the Epson WF printers do not have a manual feed tray. You need to insert check forms on top of tray 1, as @jacobs correctly stated, face down, with the top of the form into the printer.
    If you are about to print multiple check sheets you need to reorder the sheets so that the lowest numbered check sheet is on top of the stack and therefore is the first one to be printed.

Do not forget to select the correct check style.

• For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old stock from many years ago)
    • For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    • For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".

Again, AFAIK, the WF printer does not support partial pages. You will have to use form leaders to feed your printer with a proper 8.5x11 sheet while printing a partial 1- or 2-checks page of Wallet or Standard checks in normal portrait orientation.

See https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/fsg/businesschecks/formleaders.aspx for an example of form leaders. Check your local office supply store, search on the Internet or order from Intuit.

> My Epson printer has _2_ trays that hold paper PLUS an area on top of the printer that looks-like it can accept paper.
    That "area on top of the printer ..." is a document scanner / photo copier, not an additional paper tray.
    After you installed the printer software on your Mac, you may find a link to the Epson WF-3720_4720_4730 Guide https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd53013/index.html for more information about your printer.

For my check printing needs I always use Voucher checks and an older Epson Stylus printer with a straight-thru paper path. That means I don't have to reshuffle the check forms when I need to print 2 or more checks. I just load them on top of the single paper input tray in back of the printer.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There might be a vital piece of information which has been skipped over.
    You cannot print a "bank check", i.e., a check which came from your bank in a book of checks. You must have special Quicken/Quickbooks check stock. This can be purchased from Intuit, and there are other brands which claim Quicken compatibility.
    Apologies if this was too obvious, but I didn't want it overlooked.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.